14

"Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely

"Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely." Edna St-Vincent Millay

Tom stomped up the stairs, locking the basement door. He went right over to his office to hide the key - locking his office right back up as well. He massaged his temples as he walked up the stairs, heading directly to Alexie's bedroom. Tom stopped in front of the door, running his hands through his hair as he tried to calm himself before walking through the door. His hand gripped the doorknob and twisted it slowly, entering the room. Harrison was still sitting on the edge of the bed next to Alexie. Tom crossed his arms against his chest as he leaned his hip against the dresser. Both looked at him just waiting for Tom to say something.

Alexie couldn't help but notice the blood on his hands, which she tried to ignore but couldn't really. Tom realized she was staring at his bloody hands so he hid them behind his back, clasping his wrist in his opposite hand.

"Darling, did you ever sign papers for Ryan? Like uh, marriage papers?" Tom asked, his lips pressed into a thin line as he waited for an answer. He noticed her swallowing unnecessarily and fidgeting with the hem of her shirt, showing nervousness. Tom wanted to go over to her and reassure her but he couldn't. First of all, he had blood on his hands and second of all he couldn't let himself care more than he already did. He was just going to screw himself over.

"I, uh, yeah." She stuttered, holding her breath before letting it all out. Alexie got up slowly and headed to her dresser. She stopped next to Tom and opened a drawer, taking out a pile of papers as well as a small box. "He somehow convinced me to marry him and uh, gave me all of those papers to fill out. I found it weird how he insisted on me filling them out as fast as possible and how he didn't seem like he really cared about a ceremony or anything." She trailed off, fiddling with the papers in her hand. She licked her lips, handing them over to Tom - ignoring how his bloody hands gripped the papers. "So I didn't fill out all of them. I left a few blank." She clasped her fingers together, playing with them as she avoided the two men's stares on her.

Tom let out a sigh, he wasn't sure if it was of relief or not. She technically wasn't married, but it wasn't all that good. Because it meant something else. "That's smart, very smart, darling but-" He licked his lips, looking at the papers as he screwed his eyes shut. "Sinclair's mob is what we call a family mob. That means that the power and the money coming with the mob get passed down to the children of the boss. If said children doesn't want it, then it gets passed down to their husband or wife." Tom informed her, leaving the information out for interpretation. He knew she'd understand where he was getting at. She was still playing with the small box, which he assumed was a ring, as she threw her head back with a sigh.

"Which means that they want to get to me so that I can pass down my part of the Sinclair mob to Ryan?" She asked, turning her head to look at him. She hated this, she hated the fact that after everything she was put through - there was somehow always something more happening. She never caught a break.