15

"When you spend so long trapped in darkness, you find that the darkness begins to stare back

"When you spend so long trapped in darkness, you find that the darkness begins to stare back." - Sarah J. Maas

Alexina woke up in a bed that wasn't hers, looking from side to side - taking in the room around her. It was Tom's room, there was no doubt in her mind about it. The space next to her on the bed was empty. Yet, she precisely remembered falling asleep next to Tom after kissing him. The woman silently groaned at the memory - as well as at the giddy feeling it gave her. The empty bed made her regret even going into his room last night. She was just a means in his battle against John and she had to remember that.

With the little pride she had left, she slid out of the bed and placed the covers neatly. Alexina pushed her ear against the door, making sure no one was in the hallway before slipping out of Tom's room and into her own. As she got ready for another day stuck in this house, she couldn't help but wonder about something. What if she had actually signed all of the papers? She wondered if she would still be here anyway, if she would've met Tom, Harrison and Penelope, if she would even still be alive.

Alexie glanced down at herself in the mirror, glancing at the necklace hanging from around her neck. It was her mother's. The young woman knew she must have had some good memories with the woman, but she was quite young when she died so sadly she could only recall the bad memories. The good years were too far in her mind for her to remember. She had asked herself for years what went wrong and now that she knew what - who - her father is, it explained a lot of things.

Her dad was always busy at work so he was never really home to care for the women in his life. But Alexina and her mum didn't really care, because they had each other and it was enough when the young girl was little. Now that Alexina knew her dad was a mobster, it explained the absence, the multiple fights between her parents and her mum's alcoholism before her death.

She was brought back to earth by someone clearing their throat from behind her. The woman jumped slightly, quickly glancing behind her. She relaxed once she saw who it was.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." Penelope laughed gently, pointing at her bed, "Mind if I come in?"

"Go ahead," She turned her chair around so she could face the bed, assuming Penelope came here to talk.

"Whose was it?" The woman asked her, looking at her necklace with a soft smile on her face, "It's beautiful."

"It is." Alexie said, smiling softly as well. Her hands played around with it still as she answered, "It was my mum's. She died when I was around 8 years old, car accident." Penelope nodded at the broken woman in front of her, sympathizing with her.

"You miss her?" She asked, her tone calm and reassuring. She wanted Alexina to know she was there for her. Penelope realized how hard this all probably was for her and hoped to make it easier on her.

Alexina shrugged, "I sadly don't have any good memory to remember her by." She placed the necklace down, letting fall gently against her warm skin. "She was a drunk, John and her would always get into fights, even though now I understand why - it's all I can remember. I'd like to remember her as a strong and fearless woman though, I mean, she must have been at some point if she got married to John." She half-joked, smiling at herself as Penelope chuckled and nodded.

"I'm sure she was, because you are." Penelope's words brought tears to Alexina's eyes, it was all she ever wanted to hear. All her life, she waited and hoped she'd meet someone who knew her mum and would be able to tell her what she was like. Of course, Penelope didn't actually know her mum - but it felt good to hear it nonetheless. "John and any of these men, can turn anyone into anything. They could even convince angels to become demons, Alexie. No matter how you remember her, I'm sure it's not even half of who she really was."

Alexie looked at the ground in front of her, smiling to herself. She breathed in and out deeply, keeping in the tears, before glancing up at Penelope. "Thank you. It means a lot to hear that."

"Anytime." She smiled back, happy she could help her new friend.

On the other side of the house, Tom had called a meeting with his men. He had woken up at dawn this morning and went straight to his office, trying to come up with a plan. Tom hated the fact that for the first time in months - maybe even years - he actually slept through the night. Usually, he'd wake up way before dawn and start his day. Tom was no idiot, he knew it had something to do with the woman he slept next to. And kissed.

But he couldn't think about that. He had a job to do and that job was to protect her. At this point, he honestly couldn't care less about his money. His whole concentration was on her. He hated the fact that an innocent woman's life was on the line - even if he was partly the reason why. Plus, he very strongly hated how she was treated and used by the men in her life.  No woman deserved to be treated that way. No matter the reason. Tom did many things in his lifetime, but disrespecting women wasn't one of them.

He had spoken to Harrison before the meeting, briefing him in on his plan. The sidekick obviously went along with it and helped preparing it all. So they stood side by side in front of all of their men who sat at the meeting table, waiting for them to speak.

"So, I asked you to find out why the girl was so important to Sinclair. What did you find?" Tom asked his men. Everyone knew about Alexina being linked to John and Ryan, as well as the wedding documents. But they all knew Tom wanted more.

"I heard something about Alana, Alexie's mum." One of his men started, waiting until Tom nodded to continue. "Apparently, in her last few years of life she was an alcoholic. She died in a car accident, which was ruled as an accident due to her drinking habits. Turns out Sinclair might have been behind it." The man finished, looking up at his boss as he waited for his reaction.

"How and why?"

"Well, he ordered the hit. I'm not sure exactly how yet though. Sinclair's mob is a family mob, so when Alana gave him a daughter he was devastated. Sinclair didn't want a woman taking over and he drove Alana insane about it. He wanted to try for another kid, but she didn't. That's when he told her about the mob and that's when she started drinking. A few years later, she had surgery to make sure she could never get pregnant again and when Sinclair learned - he ordered her death." Tom's man explained, leaving Tom speechless. How could a man kill his own wife? Goosebumps rose on Harrison's skin, he could never imagine himself or anyone else hurting his wife. Silence took over the room for a few minutes, leaving Tom with his thoughts. After a few minutes, something else popped up in his mind.

"So basically, Sinclair wants a son, a man to take over. He forces Alexie to marry Ryan so the powers can be passed down to him. Alexie doesn't sign them properly so now he's onto her. Is that all?" He asked, unsure. Tom had a feeling there was more to it. It was too simple.

"Uh, I did some digging into all of Alexina Sinclair's records, dental, medical, anything. She had a fertility test as well as three ultrasounds. I'm thinking maybe Ryan was trying to get her pregnant. I spoke to one of her coworker at the bar, he said Alexie didn't want kids with Ryan- but recently he had been really insistent on trying or at least starting to get her off her pill." The same man pushed, explaining further. Tom was pleased by his work, even if the news made him feel sick to his stomach.

"He wants a son because then she won't have much of a choice about passing down the reigns." Harrison clarified as Tom rubbed his face.

"If he kills her now, she's no use to him and the mob will practically destroy itself. He needs her to either sign over her powers to Ryan or to give them a son. Sick fucks." Tom finished, resisting the need to slam his fist down on the table. He had to put his plan to execution now before it got too late. Tom explained it to his men, telling them that it needed to start now. There was no time to lose.

____________________
No, I'm not dead.
Yes, I edited the story for the second time.
Yes, it is mainly because I forgot what the plot was.
Ooops.

VOTES AND COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED