2. A Kind of Magic

"All right, so if you all open your textbooks to chapter six-" Brian paused to look up at the clock on the classroom wall. Only fifteen minutes remained in their class session. "Actually, you know what? We'll save the next concept for Monday, and wrap up a little early for the weekend - how's that sound?"

There were relieved sighs and some applause from the crowd of students. "Excellent - and that will give you a chance to finish this week's readings and questions if you haven't already. Have a great weekend everyone, and see you on Monday. Remember, I'm in my office Monday's and Thursday's after class."

Everyone was much too keen rushing out the door to hear him, but he gathered his books and papers  and headed to his office to lock up for the weekend.  While driving home, he cranked the rock 'n roll tunes on the radio - hey, it was Friday after all. Time to relax for the weekend.  

"I'm home!" he announced when he got home, stepping into the kitchen. Lettie, who was on the phone, held a finger to her lips.

Sorry, Brian mouthed.

"Yes Mrs. Clayton, I'll be very careful with your skirts. Yes, yes, I know the way you like them folded. All right, thank you, I'll have them washed, pressed, and folded by Wednesday, so you'll definitely have them in time for church next week. Okay, goodbye." She hung up the phone, heaving an exhausted sigh.

"Our lovely neighbor again, making sure you haven't forgotten her particularities when it comes to her laundry?" Brian said.

"Yes. She even had me write it down this time, even though I've done it before." She held up the notepad bearing her scribbled notes. "If she doesn't believe me I'm counting on you to back me up."

"The audacity of that woman! How dare she not trust your memory. When I can tell you, yours is certainly superior to hers."

"Brian!"

"What, it's true! When has she remembered any of our children's names? And while you're a good forty years younger than her, she doesn't need to treat you like a child, the old bat."

"Brian!" She swatted him with the notepad. 

"There, I said it! I've been wanting to say it for such a long time and now I finally have! And besides, doesn't she know there's no one more trustworthy with clothing than the great Juliette May?"

Lettie smiled. "Well, thank you Dear, but I'm afraid Mrs. Clayton does not share your humble opinion. You're home early," she noted.

"Yeah, thought I'd give my class a break and let them go a little early for the weekend."

"Ah, no wonder you're the favourite professor."

"DADDY!" their youngest, Mickey, ran into the kitchen then from the living room where he had been watching telly, hugging Brian's legs.

"Hey there, Mick Jagger." Brian kissed the little boy on the top of the head, ruffling his red hair. "How was your day?"

"Good!"

"Mickey, you want to show your dad the drawing you did this morning?" Lettie said.

Mickey beamed and nodded, rushing to the fridge to take a drawing off of the door before proudly presenting it to Brian.

"Ah, well look at this."

"See, that's you." Mickey pointed to the drawing.

"Am I in a spaceship?"

"Uh huh." Mickey nodded. "So you can be in the sky with the stars instead of just looking at them from far away."

"Ah, well how about that. And I quite like my green hair," Brian nodded to his stick figure's head of green curls.