Chapter Four

The Hogwarts ground keeper named Hagrid led the awestruck first years up to the castle entrance. Marietta walked between Tonks and Charlie, nervously clutching both of their hands. Then a lady professor came and led them into the great hall. Though Marietta had seen it many times, it never ceased to amaze the little girl. Hogwarts was just so beautiful she loved it. Looking up at the staff table Marietta smiled when she spotted professor Snape.

          All the first years listened to the sorting hat's song with rapt attention. After the song was finished kids started to get sorted into their houses. Marietta got more anxious as time went by. She began to feel queasy as more and more people left to join their tables. After they called Dora, who was sorted into HufflePuff, Mari held onto Charlie's hand with a grip so tight it caused him to wince. When Charlie was called he had to literally pry his hand from hers. She looked at him tearfully, so he gave her a gentle hug before whispering that everything would be okay. He then walked forward with confidence and plopped himself down on the stool. It took only seconds for the hat to shout Gryffindor.

             Then it was Marietta's turn, she was the last one standing there. Hearing her name she nervously made her way to the stool, feeling all eyes in the hall focused on her. She saw both of her friends waving at her with reassuring smiles before the hat fell over her eyes.

           So hard to choose a soft whispered voice spoke in her head. You've had  a very scary past it has left you skittish and easily frightened. Though I sense you have a deep well of courage hidden within you. You are also excited to learn much like a RavenClaw. You are patient and loyal like a true HufflePuff. You're very understanding and loving and shy. You would do well in any of the houses except Slytherin. I also see a fierce loyalty to those that you love, and a longing to be with your new friends. Let's see, better be............Gryffindor!! The great hall burst into applause as the small girl made her way to the red and gold table. She looked at the staff table with worried eyes. She looked directly at the potions teacher. Sensing her anxiety he smiled softly at her. He had known that his old house was no place for the shy girl he'd grown attached to over the last month.