Prologue: Crystal Sanders

Crystal slunk forward, her feet making no sound on the dry grass. The wind blew steadily overhead and towering buildings loomed over her, watching wearily from a distance. She stopped to peer out from behind a bush, spotting her target. The diamond glinted and shimmered in the moonlight as if teasing her. She turned her attention to the wearer of the ring, a lady with short, curly blonde hair and a bright red dress. As she watched, the lady lifted her gloved hand and twirled a strand of hair with her finger, flirting with a man standing nearby.

Rutherford. Henry Rutherford. A multi-billionaire lunatic, she decided. He's mad. No one can be happy living alone with all that money. At least I couldn't be.

Her hands itched with impatience as she watched the broad-shouldered man mumble something to the lady and then disappear down the discreet road.

Finally. These people take forever with their overacting.

Finding her chance, Crystal cautiously slipped forward, making sure to stay out of eyesight. As the lady bent down on cue to fix her shoe, she hurried further and tripped her with a swipe of her arm. Without letting a breath pass, she pulled out a dagger from her sleeve and pressed it against the lady's throat.

Time to let go, her mind hissed.

Even though she knew she was supposed to let go now, she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Let go, Crystal!

Ignoring herself, she pressed the dagger further as the woman's eyes widened in shock.

"CUT!" Someone yelled as unnatural lights flooded the stage.

She stood up and squinted her eyes against the bright light.

Someone thumped Crystal on her back and she whirled around, raising the dagger. As she met the man's gaze, she dropped the dagger and looked down, mumbling an apology to her father.

Her father laughed and then picked her up, twirling her in a wide circle. "You did an awesome job, Crissy!!"

He smiles, but Crystal can see the concern in his face as he places her down again. He stares at her for a moment or two longer before patting her head and walking away. She let out a deep breath as he was out of view. She turned her head to follow his trail as he motioned over to the lady in the red dress.

"You did great Charlotte." Her father's voice boomed across the auditorium as he leaned in and pulled her into a hug. He quickly examines the scar Crystal made on her neck. He shakes his head unapprovingly and gives her another tight hug.

Her heart stopped and she narrowed her eyes angrily at her step-mother. With a pang of loneliness, she remembered her real mother's soft laugh and bright blue eyes. She had Charlotte as her step-mother for about 3 years now, after her mother's unknown death. Still, she could never feel comfortable around Charlotte.

She turned away and looked around when suddenly someone hurled themselves into the room, looking horror-struck. The worker stumbled into the room, his face pale.

"What is it SAM!" The director jumped forward and caught the man as he fell.

Sam's eyes were wide as he blurted out four words, "It's Rutherford... He's dead.."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyy, I hope you liked the Prologue! If you have any suggestions, feedback, questions..etc, email us at IntellectualWattpadAddicts@gmail.com

Make sure to comment, vote, and follow!! Thank you so much!!!

Also, credit to Sky, Sandwich, Nefariousnerd13, and Killua for writing this book with me!! THANK YOU Y'ALL!! ILYYY<33