Chapter 4: The Big News

My head hurts the next morning as I wake up in my house. I must have fallen asleep in Jason's car. My phone starts to beep so that can only mean one thing. I got a text from Jason.
          For when you wake up:...I brought you home last night:) I'm sorry for what happened at the Pizza Shack and not to brag but I told you so. Call me first thing when you wake up, after breakfast of course. It's Tuesday so hope you have a good bowl of cereal.
     How did he know that I have cereal on Tuesday? He's extremely sweet and kind and.. he has a girlfriend, Hannah.
     "HANNAH, breakfast!" I hear my mom yell.
     "COMING!" I rush down the stairs and see Daniel cooking waffles. "Morning-" I stop in my tracks because obviously Jason knows me better than my mom and her own boyfriend.
     "Helloooo, it's Tuesday! CEREAL?" I shout.
      "Oh, honey I totally forgot. I'm so sorry." She puts her hand over her mouth. How could she forget? And all she says is sorry?
     "Well what's wrong with waffles? Your mom made them and I suggest you eat them." Daniel says. Is he serious? He doesn't know I'm allergic to dairy and now he thinks he owns the place.
     "Of course, I'll eat them Daniel." I smirk because he only hates one thing and that's me not calling him Dad.
     "Okkk, so I'm going to break the tension and tell her." My mom says laughing. Daniel turns around and now they both face me.
     "Tell me what?" I say putting butter on the waffles. I might want cereal but I'm not going to let good food go to waste.
     "So DANIEL PROPOSED!" She flashes a large diamond ring from across the kitchen table. I'm so shocked that I choke on my waffles.
     "You are joking, right?" I say hoping for them to respond saying it was a prank. But my mom's smile doesn't go away. In fact, it stays as Daniel puts his arms around her. I feel like throwing up.
    "It gets better though. Daniel got offered a job in Florida. Isn't that exciting, and you will be there just in time to join the high school." If I wasn't already feeling like throwing up then I definitely do now. Florida! Are they out of their minds? What about Jason? Kitty? Sadie?
      "Wow, I don't know what to say." Seriously I'm at a loss for words.
     "Be happy for me, Hannah." My mom says frowning. And I am but just not with him. Calling him Dad, I couldn't even do. But moving in with the guy, no way.
     "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry but I just remembered Kitty wants me at her house at 10." I say leaving the table and putting on my shoes.
      "It's 7:30 in the morning." Daniel looks at me and points to the kitchen clock. I remember what my mom always says when it comes to Daniel, "Be nice, Hannah."
     "Right, well I want to go early. K, bye." I run so fast out the door, nearly falling into the pool. I jump the fence and bust straight in Jason's room.
     "AHHH, JASON!" He pops up with messy hair in a hoodie. My head's bleeding from jumping the fence.
     "HANNAH?" What are you doing here?" I jump in his bed.
     "Daniel. Ring. Florida. High school. Goodbye." I say out of breath.
     "I'm sorry what? I have no idea what you're saying." I try to catch my breath while not crying.
     "Daniel proposed to my mom and he said that we are all moving to Florida and now we will all be one big happy family. And I have to join a high school there, that means we can't be together anymore and then you'll forget about me and the love of my life will be gone forever." I then realize that the last part was said out loud.
     "WHAT? AND YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH KATHERINE??" I'm confused on what to say now.
     "Yea, Kitty. Yes, I'm in love with Kitty. I've been in love with Kitty since forever. Her cute little ponytail. Ok I'm not in love with Kitty." His face looks relieved as I kinda laugh at what I just said.
     "Oh, you had me scared there for a second." THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE! "I want some breakfast, I'll be back."
     "But-" he runs out of the door. I walk home, happy and confused, but mostly happy that Jason doesn't know my big secret.
     "Are you going to stare at your phone all day? Or are you going to pack?" My mom says opening the door and sitting on the bed. I throw my phone down on the bed.
     "It's Jason. I wanted to tell him how I feel but I don't want to do that to Kitty. If only Grandma was here, she would know what to do."
     "Speaking of Grandma, Daniel got rid of Grandma's house." I sit up quickly and stare into her eyes to make sure she isn't lying. She isn't. "Hannah. Calm down. It's not really none of our business but Daniel has it under control." She smiles at the sound of Daniel's name. Has he put a spell on her? To make her just fall in love with him? I try to calm down but I can't.
     "DANIEL? Our...I mean your Daniel? Are you kidding me? He meant nothing to Grandma! What about her things! I can't move away, not anymore. And I have to get what she told me before she died. She said -"
     "I heard my name. Everything ok?" Daniel walks in. Here he goes with the whole Superman act.
     "Get out, Daniel. Or should I say HOUSE SELLER?" I shout, his smile turns upside down and the room goes silent.
     "HANNAH! SIT DOWN. DANIEL DID NOTHING!" My mom's face turns beet red.
     "Wait what- what do you mean? You told me Daniel sold Grandma's house." I feel faint as I see the surprised look on Daniel's face. It was my mom. My mom sold her own mother's house. "No, Mom. You didn't, did you?"
     "It was me. Alright. ARE YOU HAPPY HANNAH?" She storms out, slamming the door behind her. How am I being blamed? I look as Daniel follows quickly behind. Following her every move. I fall to the ground. My heart beating a thousand miles a minute. My flesh and blood betrayed me and better yet her own mother. Everything seems like a lie now.