Irrational Fears

It was too early to be awake. Even if it was 8 am. Not like I was sleeping though. I was laying in bed. Whenever I tried to sleep I saw his face…

   I pulled on a pink shirt and a blue jacket over top. My pants were bright yellow and I grabbed a hat and a pair of glasses. There. At least I look normal.

   I headed downstairs. Maybe we have Frootloops? I sure hope so. I could use the sugar after all that hospital food.

   Asy was up. "Oh! Fresh. Good morning!" He gave a smile.

   "Morning.." I mumbled and sat down. "Where's ma?"

   "With Geno. She said when you both wake up that I can take you up there." He grabbed the frootloops box. It wasn't even open. Did they buy it just for me?

   "Okay." I went to open up the box. Something inside me wished I could get rid of the awful anxiety about Geno, or the want to see Deccy, or the fear of him. Emotions were awful.

   Error trudged downstairs thirty minutes later. "Where's mom?"

   "At the hospital. After breakfast we're going up there." Asy responded and sipped his coffee.

   Error made a point to sit as far away from me as possible. "Good."

   I stared down at my bowl. Suddenly I wasn't hungry anymore. I slipped out of my chair and went to grab my shoes.

   I sat down by the door to wait. I fiddled with my fingers a bit. What should I do with myself? Sleep? That's what I did back then…

   "What are you doing?" Asy's voice was a little too loud and a little too close.

   I jumped and clutched the front of my shirt. "J-just sitting! Is that okay..?"

   Asy has the saddest look in his eyes. He stepped back. "I'm sorry to spook you kiddo. You just looked zoned out. I was trying to get your attention."

   "Oh. I'm sorry." I mumbled getting to my feet.

   "Don't be sorry kiddo." He reached out to pat my head but stopped as soon as I flinched. His expression turned angry.

   I shrank back. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to. It's just you're really tall and your voice is deep and I don't mean to be so jumpy!"

   "Hey Hey. Kiddo. Fresh. No no. I'm not mad at you. Not at all." He kneeled to my level. "I'm sorry. I must have seemed kinda scary… But I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at that man for hurting you kiddo."

   I sniffled lightly and nodded. "Okay…"

   He sighed deeply. "Come on kiddo. Your brother is waiting."

   I nodded and went to head to the car where Error was already waiting.