11

"How in the world is the white witch here?" That was the first thought that ran through my mind as I took in the scene in front of me. Then, the severity hit me all at once as Caspian took a step closer to the ice. 

"STOP!" I cried out. The two creatures and Nikabrik whirled around and charged at me. I unsheathed my sword and held it up as the wolf thing reached me first, launching himself off of the stone table at my head. I held my sword up and he went over me to dodge my blade, but immediately spun to face me yellow teeth bared. Over it's shoulder I could see Lucy, Peter, Edmund, and Trumpkin running towards us. 

Lucy helped Trumpkin fight Nikabrik by twisting his arm behind his back while Peter went after the bird creature. Edmund swung his blade at the wolf thing's head but it ducked and dove down for Edmund's torso causing Ed to go spinning over the thing's shoulder. I was about to call out to him when on his way down, he lashed out with his sword catching the thing's thigh as he fell. Despite the situation, I raised an eyebrow impressed. 

The creature howled in pain but whirled on me as I was now closer to it. I swung my sword at it and it dodged again as it lashed out with it's claws. I ducked away from the blow just in time and ran towards the edge of the stone circle. I pushed my legs to move faster as I felt it running after me, my thigh humming in pain as it wasn't completely healed yet. 

I jumped up on the small wall ahead of me and propelled myself forwards, over it. As I jumped, I spun in the air and brought my sword down right down the middle of the wolf thing's face. It howled in pain as it fell but to my horror and annoyance, didn't die. It struggled to get up from the ground and I scanned the room. 

Peter was now standing where Caspian had been and it appeared that he was now under whatever spell Caspian had been under. He lowered his sword and although I wanted to call out to him to snap him the hell out of it, the creature in front of me staggered to his knees. Edmund glanced to where I had been looking, then looked back at me with an unsure glance. 

"Go," I told him. "Get Peter. I'm fine here." To make my point, I slashed the creature again and dodged a swipe of it's claws which was relatively easy to do since it was off balance. Ed nodded and took off around the outside of the arch. The creature took one more staggering step towards me, and I plunged my blade right through it's chest. It let out a mournful howl as it sank to the ground, black blood pooling out around my sword. 

I yanked my blade out and looked over to Peter just in time to see a sword plunge through the ice, straight through the witch's chest. She looked down shocked as the ice around the sword cracked and splintered. She sent one last scathing glare at Peter before she tilted her head back and the ice wall shattered, raining down in huge chunks as Peter ducked and covered his head. 

To my utter relief, Edmund stood on the other side, his sword still raised. Peter stood up and Caspian stood next to Peter as they both stared at Edmund in shock. 

"I know. You had it sorted," Edmund directed at Peter before turning and walking back towards me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the cavern, but not before I saw Susan enter and give both her brother, and my brother, a disappointed look before turning to follow us out.

No one really said anything for the rest of the night. Everyone went to their different corners with Susan and Lucy in one, Peter and Glenstorm in another, Caspian and our professor on the opposite side as Peter, and then Edmund and I. We sat close together sharpening our swords although we didn't speak at first, both of us mad at our respective brothers, and at each other's brothers. However after a while, I couldn't take the silence anymore. I had almost just died, and seen the white witch in person in the span of an hour. I felt as though if I didn't talk about it, I'd go crazy.