19

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man." Caspian's voice rang clear and confident over the gathered crowd in front of us. "Any telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to."

"But for any of you who wish," I added. "Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers." I was pleased my voice was steady and clear. Caspian had always been the one raised to be the public speaker, not me. I was proud of myself for holding my own, especially when I wanted to grab Edmund's hand and run from this dais as fast as we could. 

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," a man in the crowd spoke up. 

"We're not referring to Telmar." Aslan's voice carried across the crowd and any residual mumbles died down instantly. "Your ancestors were sea fairing brigands. Pirates who run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens." Everyone glanced at the Pevensies, who looked at each other surprised. I met Ed's eyes and I could see the questions in them. Aslan had told Caspian and I this before the meeting, but it hadn't occurred to me that the Pevensies didn't know this.

"It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start." 

"I will go." A male voice rose up over the crowd causing everyone to start to mutter and look around to see who this person was. When I saw their face, I felt my own eyebrows raise slightly in surprise. It was General Glozelle. "I will accept the offer." 

Caspian and I both bowed to him slightly as he came towards us. 

"So will we." This time it had been my aunt Prunaprismia who had spoken, holding my baby cousin in her arms. Next to her was her father and one of my uncle's former lords, Lord  Scythely. They followed Glozelle to the steps at the bottom of the platform. 

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan told them. He then breathed on them lightly and suddenly the tree behind us began to twist and move. The crowd let out a collective gasp as the trunk split, creating a hole in the center. I was shocked myself. I stood next to Cas, nodding at the three of them as they passed. Although Prunaprismia was my aunt, we had never quite been family. She had shot Caspian with a crossbow after all. I wasn't as sad to see them go as I thought I ought to have been. If anything, I was happy for them as they were given the chance to start over and live a new life. 

As they got close to the middle of the tree, I worried about them stepping right through the hole and falling off the edge of the cliff. But then I blinked, and they were gone. Right in front of my eyes. The crowd let out another collective gasp and Caspian and I shared a look of collective shock. 

"How do we know he is not leading us to our deaths?" another man in the crowd cried out. 

"Sire, if my example can be of any service I will take eleven mice through with no delay," Reepicheep offered. Aslan only looked from the mouse, to Peter, Susan, Ed and Lucy with almost an expectant look on his face. 

"No..." I thought, dread strangling me in a sudden vice-like grip.. "Surely not."

"We'll go." Peter's words were like a dagger to my heart. 

"We will?" Ed immediately asked. 

"Come on. Our time's up." Peter turned to us and walked over to stand in front of Caspian. "After all, we're not really needed here anymore." He unbuckled his sword from his hip and held it out to Cas. 

"No Caspian, don't take it. Tell him not to give it to you. Tell them not to leave!" My brain began shouting all these different thoughts, but it was if my tongue had swelled to twice the size and I couldn't get a word out. I watched silently from the side as Cas gripped it, looking at Peter.