Chapter 2

*Hockenheim - July 2014*

I sprinted across the paddock in a hurry, trying to reach the FIA's hospitality section as quickly as possible. I was late, really late from the luncheon with my parents. The briefing had dragged along longer than expected. However, this wasn't a good excuse for my mother, who valued being on time more than life itself. I gasped in relief when I saw the white motor home appearing in front of me.

'Sorry, I'm late', I apologised as soon as I was a hearing distance from my parents. I gave a quick kiss to my father's cheek to greet him before I settled into a seat next to my father. My mother gave a sarcastic look to imply her unhappiness of my tardiness, receiving a geeky grin in return. 'Glad you could join us, Belle', my father commented dryly before he lifted the wine. 'Wine?'

'Please, thank you.' I sighed gratefully and offered my glass to him. My father had insisted on having lunch on Thursday afternoon before the race weekend kicked off fully, meaning I was too occupied to spend time with them. Hence the luncheon had turned into a tradition on European Grand Prixs where my mother joined in most occasions.

During Grand Prix weekend, the downside of family luncheon was being photographed continuously with one of the family members. Sadly, our family was one of the most popular targets besides drivers, team principals and celebs. The photographers weren't absent from this luncheon either as I heard the steady 'click' sound around us, but I chose to ignore it yet again.

'Where is Alexandre?' I asked after we had placed our food orders. 'Your brother's flight was delayed. He will arrive later in the afternoon', and my mother responded while skimming through the wine menu. Alexandre was my twin brother, the perfect child. Simply put, he did nothing wrong. He had just landed a job at Red Bull as one of their junior strategists.

We were close, but to me, he was a pain in the arse. 'Amazing. I can't wait to see him again like we didn't see each other', I murmured sarcastically. I implied to the weekend before that we had spent in our summer in the South of France. I missed having my brother around. 'Amélie', my mother's tone was warning, stating indirectly 'manners' and 'public', without saying it aloud. I dropped the topic. The rest of the luncheon, the conversation flowed in-between the current F1 season, to driver standing predictions and other items related to races. My future's sensitive subject was raised after our dessert plates were collected, and we were nurturing our last bits of wine.

'Belle, what are your plans after you finalise your internship after Spa? You are also done with your studies... You know we could explore administrative roles within F1', my father spoke up, looking at me with his piercing green eyes, identical to mine. I lowered my eyes to my wine glass that I kept twirling in-between my fingers. 'Amélie?' my mother asked, trying to channel she's there for me. 'Sorry, I spaced out', I apologised quickly whilst flashing a smile. 'Thank you for the offer, daddy. Maybe I could grab onto it next year after I'm done with my postgrad in Shanghai?' I kicked myself into the foot on making my studies more of a question rather than a statement. My father was quick-witted, and he was rarely left speechless, though it happened now. He stared at me in wonder.

'Darling?' my mother asked and grabbed my father's hand to get his attention again. 'Dear, did you hear what Amélie just said?'

'Oh, I heard, mon chéri. I'm just not sure if I heard correctly', my father mumbled, shifting his eyes to look at my mother's. They shared an intimate moment without saying a word. It was one of those moments that I envied their relationship as they could communicate their feelings without saying a word. The result of nonverbal communication, my father sighed. 'Of course, we will support you. When is your departure?' I beamed and went to give him a tight hug. 'Thank you, thank you!'