The Time Has Come

Beep Beep Beep

I hear the 5 am alarm go off, but I can't bring myself to get out of bed. Today is going to be chaos. First, I will be faced with the multitude of artists who will construct me into the perfect person. They will poke, brush, and disguise my real face. My hair will be pinned and pinned until it is throbbing. Then after all that, they will squeeze me into a dress that is two sizes smaller than my actual size, thanks to multiple contraptions. Then the madness begins. A host of impersonal conversations with interviewers who pretend that they care who I actually am. They have no idea who I am.

Finally, I push the cover off of me and head straight to the small kitchen in my penthouse suite. I brew a cup of the strongest coffee possible. I put a shot of whisky for good luck. I'll need it.

Raquel arrives first, she's the main makeup artist and I can already tell she has work to do. She looks appalled by my natural, just rolled out of bed look.

"Oh dear, you went out last night didn't you. We told you to get plenty of sleep. Didn't you listen?"

"I'm sorry, but I was invited to a few parties and I couldn't say no."

"Well looks like we have our work cut out for us then." She shakes her head and whispers cruel things under her breathe. I know my handlers can't stand me. I hear them talking about me all the time. I don't mistreat them, but I guess my shenanigans make their job ten times more difficult.

After Raquel arrives, the others pile into my room one after the other. I sometimes wonder if I ever have alone time, except for when I sleep.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I hear the 5 am alarm go off, but I can't bring myself to get out of bed. Wait... is this déjà vu, I feel like this has happened before, and maybe it has. Everyday always feels the same. Today is different though, but the same. I get out of bed, make my coffee, put a spot of whisky. Same. Here is Raquel, her annoyance of me not listening to her advice shows on her face. I went to way too many parties last night. Same. Something is different though. A new assistant walks in, he's tall and gives me an anxious feeling.

"Eva, it's time."

"Time? Time for what?" I am both terrified and confused.

The man extends his arm for me to grab hold, I can feel heat radiating from his skin. I take his hand and feel the sudden urge to scream.