Chapter 1

"Good and evil both increase at compound interest. That is why the little decisions you adailyday to day are of such great importance." - C.S. Lewis.

The crunch of snow crumples under my boots as I walk down the narrow path back to the Temple. My mother waited at the gate, her arms crossed. "Maja, you're late!" Her words were exactly as she ushered me to hurry. "You know the winter days are short; the Chancellor's address will be coming at days passing." As High Priestess, Grand Mistress Yrsa Zenssi'kunn dressed in her temple robes, and her hair remained braided in the traditional way. Her pale skin caught the sun's last rays as it began to set.

Running, the cold filled my lungs. My mother had always been the hardest on, but in my small but heavy bag, the day's harvest had been bountiful.

We waited to hear news from the galactic senate; there had been a big war. One that my world wanted nothing to do with.

...And the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. Our loyal clone troopers contained the insurrection within the Jedi Temple and quelled uprisings on a thousand worlds. The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated! As the voice of the new Emperor was cheered, my mother collapsed. A look of absolute horror filled her. The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated! The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed. But I assure you, my resolve has never been stronger! The Republic will be reorganised into the first Galactic Empire to ensure security and continuing stability! For a safe and secure society.

Looking at her mother, I saw a tear run down her cheek.

~~~

"Master Yoda, I must confess I feel very troubled by this decision," Master Yrsa Zenssi'kunn said as she sat in front of her old master.

"Reason for concern we all have. Clouded, the future has become," Master Yoda replied as he gently sat across from Yrsa. "Great conflict I sense in you. Strange, that is."

"I have seen projections through the force. The death of Qui-Gon, the future betrayal of those we hold dear, much death, much pain. I hold fear for this."

"Fear is a path to the Dark Side!" Master Yoda warned as he looked into her eyes.

"I saw myself possessed by the dark side. I saw it use my pain. I saw myself enjoying extinguishing life's flame," Yrsa replied.

"Take this to the council; you must."

Standing, Yrsa relayed her visions to the council. With great poise, she urged the council to be shrewd when dealing with this new problem—reminding them of their virtues in peace and life values. In her eyes, to take life was not the Jedi way. Once she had delivered her thoughts on the vote, she sat. Murmurs filled the room as time was given to deliberate on the matter. Her points had been clear as she was right; however, it didn't go her way as the vote was conducted. Instead, the order would take sides in an inevitable war.

Standing, the room grew quiet. "Destiny's path has been forged today, and with great sadness, I can no longer travel beside it." Unclipping her lightsaber from its hilt, Master Yrsa Zenssi'kunn gave a deep bow and handed it to Master Yoda.

~~~

Waking, I sat up and looked out the window. It was still dark but a clear sky; I could see more than a million stars. Our small home was nestled in the valley with the other priestly families. We would all eat together and play together. I remember a big garden where my father had set up an irrigation system to grow vegetables for the community.

It was beautiful here, with deep snow in the winter, a glass dome over the garden and a commune kitchen. We would ski together and snowshoe up the mountain. In spring, the valley was filled with blossoming trees, and the natural luminescent flora would bloom at night, marking the beginning of the new year and the festival of lights. In summer, the lake near the Temple was the most popular place on Keb. It was deep and blue and provided a steady stream where most villages got water and power. I remember hours of swimming, canoeing, and even diving. Although most of the inhabitants of Kheb refused to eat the meat of any kind, my father, with the concession of my mother, fished in the lake. But swimming among the fish in the lake felt like living. Autumn was my mother's favourite season. The spring blossoms surrounding the temple spring would change to vibrant orange leaves. Small lanterns would be hung in the trees as days passing would come earlier, and the walk from the temple to home seemed magical. In the autumn, the commune celebrated the harvest gifts.