one

A beautiful ball took place on Saturday night in the center of town. The family, friends, and associates of the host attended to celebrate yet another big milestone for his oil company.

Everyone was having a grand time, the beautiful sounds of piano and violins echoed in the room as pleasant conversation commenced. It was the perfect day for such a victory. For a little while, that is.

The host had been eating a divine meal with a side of jasmine tea, laughing with his friends and basking in the wonderful life he built for himself. He took a long sip of the tea his lovely husband brought to him and had a bite of his food, clearing his throat before changing the subject when being asked about certain details about his company.

His husband went out to the porch to catch a smoke, just as he struggled to light his cigarette he began to hear screaming from within the building. He looked back at the closed door in horror as the sounds of pain began to get louder. The screams rang in his ears and could be heard throughout the town.

Oliver Sykes died at 6:22 that evening.

The death was a big shock for the town and the ones surrounding for it. He was a highly respected man that many looked up to, a true symbol of someone people should strive to be. To have him die was a loss to everyone, even those that didn't know him personally.

His funeral was small with only forty attending. Family members and close friends mourned him and discussed how much of a wonderful person he was.

Joshua, his now widowed husband wore an all-black suit with a black veil covering his face. He wiped away his tears with a handkerchief as he looked down at the body of his deceased husband. They married so young, he watched him build his empire the past decade and now he lied in a coffin. Lifeless.

His brother-in-law went to stand right next to him, his eyes were wet but his face was dry. The whole Sykes family were quite stone-hearted people, they lacked emotions on the surface, but Joshua could tell that there were tears Tom was holding back.

He knew them better than his friends at this funeral, he could cry over his husbands' dead body all he wanted, but this anger was clawing inside him towards his friends at the funeral. They didn't know Oliver like he did. They were all here for the wrong reasons.

"I'm sure it was just as heartbreaking for you as it was for me," Tom said. Joshua sniffled and wiped away another tear.

"I wasn't even there during his last moments," he choked up. "I went outside for a fucking cigarette!"

Tom pat his back as comfort. "You didn't know, don't cry. You're a Sykes, too. We're here for you."

A statement that should've been calming made Joshua ball up his fists. He took a deep inhale, and breathed out slowly. "You don't get it! All I ever wanted was to be there during his last moments."

"Someone like him is never truly dead. He had a legacy that will live on."

Joshua gulped down.

"And you could continue his company for him, you learned plenty about running a business during your marriage, didn't you?" Tom questioned.

"No, you can have it. I have no desire to run a company."

Tom perked his ears as he masked his joy. "Really? You'd let me?"

"Of course. You share the same skillset as him, you'll be a fine CEO," Joshua complimented.

"Oh, thank you so much. That's an honor coming from you."

Tom's words didn't give a hint of sarcasm, but Joshua could feel it. Perhaps it was just his natural pessimism speaking.

The money Oliver had left for him was enough for Joshua to live a more than comfortable life with no financial worries. As for Oliver himself; in the spirit world he will no longer have someone constantly nagging him during every waking moment, begging for some attention.