Chapter 4 - The Fair

The following weekend, there was a travelling fair in town. Lily asked if I'd like to go with her, saying it might cheer me up after recent events.

I wanted to go with her but was a little bit scared that the man who kept attacking me might be there. However, I also didn't want to stop living my life, so I agreed to go.

On Saturday morning, the doorbell rang, and Lily stood smiling at me in the sunshine. Her pretty, blonde hair was plaited, and she wore denim shorts and a red T-shirt. Her eyes were bright, and she looked happy to see me, just like I was happy to see her.

"Ready?" she asked.

"Ready," I replied, and we walked under the blue skies to the park where the fair was being held, chatting happily all the way.

"Ooohh, look! Dodgem cars!" squealed Lily as we arrived at the fair. She pulled at my hand, so I followed her. "I love dodgem cars!"

We were soon over at the dodgems, paid our money to the lady in the booth, and found a car each. Mine was blue and hers was red, like her T-shirt. We giggled whenever we bumped each other and chased each other round the floor as music blasted from the speakers.

When we heard the siren to end our fun, we found each other and skipped out of the arena.

"Big Wheel next?" she asked me.

"Yeah, why not?" I agreed, and soon we were in one of the seats together waiting for the ride to start.

We lifted into the air and as we reached the top, I could see for miles. The houses, cars and trees of the village below looked like little models. It was magical, being up this high.

"Great view," I commented. "I think I can see my house!"

"It's amazing," Lily agreed. "I'm so pleased I'm getting to do this with you." She put her head on my shoulder and linked her arm with mine. "I could stay here forever," she added wistfully. I understood – I felt the same way.

The ride eventually ended, and we headed towards the food area, as we felt like a snack. We passed a drinks vendor, and the cheery man waved at us and offered to sell us coca-cola.

"No thanks," Lily replied with a smile. "Neither of us like cola."

She was right, I didn't like cola. But how could Lily possibly know that? I'd never told her. I didn't have time to think about it much further when she spotted the hot nuts.

"Oh, I love these," she said and bought some to share with me.

Throughout the afternoon, we had lots of fun. We went on the Waltzer, falling off giggling at how dizzy we were. We won a small prize at the coconut shy and had some burgers for lunch. We'd only known each other for a short while, but I felt like I'd known her forever.

"Four thirty," said Lily once we'd finished giggling after we'd just finished on the trampolines. "Probably time to head back. Have you had a nice time?"

"I have," I said. "Thank you for suggesting we do this." I smiled.

We walked towards the road next to the park, when Lily, patted the pocket of her shorts.

"Blast," she said. "I must have left my purse near the trampolines. I took it out so that I didn't bounce on it, and I don't think I picked it back up again. I'll just run back and get it and catch you up."

"No problem," I said, and continued walking towards my house. The sun was still shining, and it had been the perfect day, and I had spent it with the perfect person.

Lost in my thoughts about the fairground, I looked both ways before crossing the road near the park. I looked over my shoulder to see Lily in the distance, jogging towards me and waving. It seemed she'd found her purse. I smiled.

I waved back, and as I looked around, I saw a white car speeding towards me. I shrieked and covered my face, bracing for the impact of being hit by the oncoming vehicle.