Epilogue

The lilies were just perfect as I arranged them on the windowsill. It had been two weeks since Jade had followed Matthew back in time to save me, and I was still getting used to life without my daughter.

I knock at the front door pulled me from my thoughts. I wasn't expecting anyone.

I opened the door to see tear-filled green eyes looking back at me. They belonged to a blonde lady who looked to be about the same age as me. A stinging sensation in the back of my eyes was followed by my vision becoming blurry as the tears came for me too.

"Jade," I breathed as the lady flung her arms round my neck.

"Mum," she sobbed into my shoulder. "I don't know when you last saw me, but for me it's been about twenty years."

"You were so brave, honey," I said, stroking her hair as tears fell. "I understand the connection now. Why it felt like you were my sister. My family. You were my family."

Jade nodded and pulled back.

"And why killing me would have killed you," I continued. "If I hadn't survived, you wouldn't have been born. Oh sweetheart, come inside! I can't tell you how long I wondered what happened to Lily."

"Lily had to stay away," said Jade, stepping inside. "I knew I couldn't be around and interfere with your life more than I already had. It would have changed my past and your future."

I took her coat and made us both a cup of tea.

"So, you've been living your life out in this timeline?" I asked her once we were settled.

"I did, and I'm married with children of my own, Mum. You're a grandmother!"

"Oh, my word!" I exclaimed, delighted. I'd gone from thinking I'd lost my whole family, to suddenly gaining a whole new one.

The feelings were mixed though. I'd missed so much in Jade's life. She'd grown up, and now she was my age.

"I can't wait for you to meet them," said Jade. "But I thought it was better to see each other alone first."

"Probably," I conceded. She was being logical again, and it did make sense. I'm not sure my emotions would have been able to cope with grandchildren today as well.

"Tell me something," I started. "Why did you choose the name Lily?"

"Because of the lilies you bought every week," she replied, as I suspected she might.

"I bought the lilies because that was your name when I met you," I pointed out. "I'm struggling to work out which one happened first."

"I've never been able to figure it out," grinned Jade. "And I have a degree in Physics."

"Do you? Congratulations!" I said, happy of course, but lamenting a little that I'd missed my daughter's graduation.

Something occurred to me then.

"There's so much I want to ask you," I said. "But I need to know, did you send lilies to your father's funeral? With a poem?"

"Yes," she replied. "I never got a chance to meet my father in either timeline. There were so many times I was tempted to come and find you both, but I had no idea how much that would disrupt the future, so I had to stay away. But the funeral was one thing I just couldn't stay away from."

"You were there?" Tears filled my eyes as I asked the question. "You didn't just send flowers? You came to Simon's funeral?"

"Of course," she replied. "He was my father. But I stayed at the back, out of sight. I'm so sorry you had to go through it on your own."

"Oh Jade," I said as the tears that had formed in my eyes rolled down my cheeks. "Your father would be so proud of you. I'm proud of you. And so pleased that you're back in my life again."

"Me too," said Jade. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, sweetheart," I sighed. "There is a question that I really want to know the answer to though," I said sipping my tea.

"What's that?" asked my daughter, looking curious.

"What happened to the necklace?"