III

*Flash Back* 

Lilly lazily scribbled onto a piece of parchment, her eye's tearing as she wrote the events of October 31st in hopes to find with her sister. "Petunia" she started "i know you hate me and those like me, but mum and dad are gone, my husband is gone, i need you. please find it within your heart to help me." at this point Lilly had no idea that Molly Weasley would insist on her staying in their family home. at this point Lilly felt quite utterly alone and was in desperate need for someone to just hold her, hold her and let her cry. and of course her sister didn't write back. why would she? she knew that Lilly had other's like herself she knew that her sister was strong and didn't truly need her, or so she thought until one day several owls turned up on her front lawn, each from a different one of Lilly's friends, unknown to Lilly of course. Petunia opened each one with care, afraid she would received a howler, Lilly had sent one of those after she had cut holes into her school robes. she didn't care much for being screamed at by floating paper. the first letter started like this: 

Dear Lilly's sister, 

this may sound rude, but i have never found the meaning to learn you're name. every time Lilly mentioned you before now she just got upset and defensive, now she cries. she just crumbles and Lilly is the strongest person i know. I by the way am Sirus Black i was named Harry's Godfather, I was James' best friend and am a close friend of Lilly's. she needs her family of course we are her family but you know her better than most you have a unique skill... you are her sister even if you hate her magic lover her as your sister put aside your hatred for even a moment and just give her some comfort. 

this letter made petunia mad, why should she pretend to like someone who so clearly hates her back. Petunia only hated Lilly because her sister hated her back.  it wasn't because she had magic, surely but when she tried to pin down her hatred she couldn't find any other reason. sure her sister leaving each September and having weird friends. a bird and odd cloths didn't help her distaste and having magic did make her a freak, but she also recalled the night when she overheard Lilly explaining to their parents that her family being 'muggle' was frowned upon by some in their community, pure bloods? yes that was it pure blooded wizards hated witches like her sister, which is why Lilly would be called a mudblood? and assuming that her sister would eventually see her the same, Petunia decided to get a head start and decided then and there that her sister was and always would be a freak and didn't deserve the sweat off her brow. but what she failed to realize was that Lilly was and still is Proud of where she came from... 

the next two letters were from a Molly Weasley explaining that her sister had taken up residence in her home and trying to urge Petunia to come to tea. she tried to avoid it that much petunia could tell from the women's rambling, but she felt desperate and begged petunia to reply... stating and petunia would quote this as she was so utterly shocked. 

"Lilly hasn't spoken in almost two weeks" 

this simple statement brought petunia to tears as much as she hated her sister, she never wanted to imagine her lifeless, yet alive that wasn't her Lilly. her Lilly, she had already made the decion to return the Weasley womens letter and accept their invitation to tea, but she thought it only polite to read the third and final letter. it was short, simple 

"She needs you" 

-Remus 

she had heard the names Remus and Sirus before, she knew that these 'men' however odd their names were important to her sister and if anyone would know what was wrong with her it was them. and yet here they were her closest friends begging her 'muggle' sister for help fixing her. and it was then that petunia decided a very simple fact, that she Petunia Dursley didn't hate her sister. or at least not quite as much as she thought she did.