Prologue

You always hear the expression opposites attract, and I can whole heartedly say that it's true. My friend Apollyon was my complete opposite, he was very loud and social. He had a charismatic personality and was always getting people in trouble, although he seemed to get out of it. We had been friends since childhood, around the first grade I moved to the apartment next to his after my father had passed away. It was a rough neighborhood with break-ins and drug busts almost daily. My mom hated the area and would always promise to get us out but without a good job, and father gone we didn't have much choice.

"Hey" Apollyon said as he snuck into my room, he must have just walked in the front door. My mother had a bad habit of leaving without locking the door, and Apollyon had a worse habit of breaking in. Apollyon wore always a huge grin on his face and seemed pleased with himself, he had fair skin and deep green eyes with jet black hair, and was incredibly handsome. Every girl we met seemed to swoon for him, and I couldn't say I blame them.

"Hi" I said, looking back down at my book. He walked over to my bed and plopped down beside me. Picked up one of the books on my bed and began to read it, making himself at home. We sat for a while enjoying the comfortable silence. It was never awkward when we were quite it was more relaxing. It was nice to be with someone you didn't have to constantly talk to. "I didn't know you read" He looked up and glared at me, before closing the book and leaning close into my ear. I didn't have enough time to respond and move away.

"ASSHOLE" He yelled, as I pulled away, hitting my head on the wall. Glaring back at him, as I reached my arm to the back of my head. I didn't feel a bump, even though I had hit the wall hard.

"Why are you over?" I asked, sitting back up and assessing at the wall making sure we didn't put a hole in it. He shrugged and yawned before sprawling out across my bed; I pushed him off with my foot and watched him fall to the floor. He didn't answer the question, and it didn't need to be answered. We had hung out every day since we were young, with the few odd days. There was never a reason to hang out or any plan, which I didn't like at the beginning. I had always been a fan of structure which Apollyon was horrible at. "Let's head out" He sighed dramatically, before he got up off the floor and headed to the door.

"I'm hungry; do you feel like buying me food?" He asked as we headed out the door. I sighed knowing that he would convince me to buying him some anyways. Although I wasn't going to make it easy for him, since I always paid for food. It wasn't like he didn't pay, he always paid for activities, like going to the movies.

"No, eat before you come over."

"Right, with all the food my dad brought home. So insightful" He said sarcastically, his father was a drunk and didn't have a job. Apollyon worked two part time jobs to afford the rent, although I'm pretty sure he sold drugs as well, but I didn't ask, and he didn't say. We had an unsaid rule about not discussing our home life, when he was little he would come into our house late at night and sleepover. My mother must have known what was happening, or at least suspected because she never said anything and would leave the door unlocked for him.

"Fine" I said feeling guilty although, from his smug look I wasn't feeling too bad. We walked over to a small coffee shop we had near the area. It was a cute shop, and it was far enough away that it wasn't littered with graffiti or with the pleasant residents that we often had around. It was close to the high school so a lot of students worked there, and it always had people in it. We opened the door and Scarlet was working, she was in love with Apollyon. Not to mention gorgeous, long red hair that reached to her shoulders in the pony tail she always wore. She had deep blue eyes and clear skin, she looked up from the cash register when the door rang and she gave a huge smile when she saw us.

"Hello, what can I get you two?" Her voice was very soft and sweet, she gave me a smile but her eyes didn't leave Apollyon. I rolled my eyes, feeling jealous of all the attention he was getting. She seemed soft when she talked at work, but she was very far from it. We had met Scarlet first when we were twelve, when she had come the same high school as us. Originally she and I fought a lot, it was because we both wanted to be top in the class. Of course when Apollyon saw us trying he decided to try as well, and he got it. It kept both of us studying, and eventually we became friends both trying to win over Apollyon, who never studied.