14~Cookies & Car rides

Everyone else was sound asleep in their tents, except me.

Don't worry about the sleeping arrangements we were separated boy and girl.

I couldn't sleep and with Sabrina sleeping beside me peacefully it made me jittery. Every time I close my eyes I saw Jaden lying there not breathing.

I got out of my tent and walked over to the boys' tents.

"Blake" I whispered. "Blake" I whispered again.

He opened the tent. "Emmarie?" He said groggily.

"Blake, I can't sleep" I said.

"What's wrong?"

"Every time I close my eyes I see him laying there"

"See who?"

"My brother, not Jaxson" I clarified.

"I didn't know you had a brother, other than Jaxson"

"I don't, well not anymore"

"Hold on I'm coming out there and we can sit in the car for more privacy." He said.

I waited patiently and gathered my thoughts, trying to figure out how to say this.

Blake and I went to the car and he rolled the windows down. We climbed in the backseat and he held my hand.

"I know that you must feel all sorts of emotions and you might not be ready to tell me your story but I promise I'm here for you and I'm ready to listen."

"When I was ten my family went to Disneyland. It was my parents, my sister, my little brother, and me. We lived in Utah and my family loved a good road trip." I took a deep breath before continuing my story. Blake squeezed my hand in reassurance. "On the way back a deer crossed the road and my dad, h-he um s-swerved to miss it. The car flipped several times. I-I was the only conscious after the accident but I could hear my family breathing. My head was hurting bad, I was really dizzy, and my arms were stuck. I looked over and I couldn't see my brother breathing or moving at all. I l-lost my brother. I loved him more than anything and he was t-taken from me." I busted into tears. Blake took him in his arms and pet my hair, shushing me.

"I know what it's like to lose people you love even if it's not in the same way."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You're not the only one with a past, Princess" he said simply but I could see his jaw lock.

"Please continue"

"No it's not my time to tell a story. You need to sleep." he reached for the door handle but I grabbed his arm.

"I already told you I can't. Just stay that's all I ask"

"Whatever you need I'm there for you, Princess"

***

"Good morning" someone whispered in my ear. I woke up laying on Blake's lap and his arm wrapped around me.

"Morning" I mumbled. I fully realized my surroundings. "What happened?" I sat up looking at Blake.

"We fell asleep in the car last night"

"Oh"

"We should probably pack if we wanna get home before lunch" he reached for the door to open it, but I grabbed his arm. I felt a sense of deja vu. He looked at me patiently.

"Blake I don't want to ruin your free weekend since you have games and practices starting Monday"

"I don't care about my free weekend, I care about you and making you feel better." My heart melted at his words. "Plus it won't be ruined because I'll be with you anyway which is what I wanted." There's no way my heart can be more melted than it is now, there is literally a puddle on the floor that is my heart.