Chapter Two

I grabbed my backpack from the back seat and ran out towards the front steps of the cabin, Christian pulled back the welcome mat and grabbed a shiny gold key.
    He fumbled with the lock opening the door as fast as possible and closing it behind us. I let out a breath that I'd been holding in since we encountered the dead man and fell against a leather chair in the living room.

    "Shh." He said putting a finger up to his lips as he carefully walked into the kitchen grabbing a butcher knife and walking towards the closest door. He looked at me and back at the door before opening it quietly and assuming an attack position.
     He pushed through and saw nothing, and he moved to the next room and the room after that making sure every room was clear.
    "We're safe." He said, keeping hold of the knife. I stayed silent as he went to the back room. I grabbed a tv controller and turned it on but to no avail I was faced with only static.

      I shut it off just as Chris walked back into the room.
    "They still won't answer." He said sitting down on the couch and rubbing his temple.
     "Who?" I questioned.
    "Mom and Dad...it's just sending me to voicemail." He said holding up his phone.
     "Oh." I responded defeated.

    "I'm starving." I said looking over at him.
    "I'll look for something." He replied, getting up and walking over to the kitchen the knife still not leaving his hand. He rummaged through the cabinets and pantry.
   "Well we've got a couple cans of beans, a can of corn and some stale bread." He said sliding them on the counter. "Pick your poison." He added with a smirk.

    "Suddenly I don't think I'm hungry anymore." I said standing up with a little laugh. I stopped laughing and we returned to silence. "Chris what is happening." I said looking at him with a more serious tone.
   "Jen to be honest I don't know...but I've seen enough movies and I have enough common sense to know a dead man shouldn't sit up like that." He said looking over at me and pointing at the door.

    "What...what if mom and dad are in trouble." I replied looking down. I messed with my nails while I waited in silence, I looked up Christian had his elbows on the counter and his hands resting on his bent neck. "Chris?" I said.
     "I-I don't know Jen, I really didn't want to jump to that conclusion but I'm left with no more choices." He said looking over at me distressed. I stood up straighter.

      "I don't know what's happening at all Jen I wish I had the answers you're looking for but I don't." He said in a mixture of frustration and sadness. "I can tell you one thing, if I've learned anything from mainstream media. Don't stay in the same place for too long, always have ammo or blades, and always have food." He said taking kitchen knives and scissors and shoving them into his backpack.
I grabbed food cans and put them In my bag,

     "what if John and his family come here and there's no food left." I said looking at one of the cans.
     "He'll understand I promise." He said taking the can and putting it in my bag. "John was a big hunter. I'm gonna check if he left any guns or ammo." He remarked as he walked through one of the doors. I looked back at the kitchen and went through all the cabinets, I didn't find much so I walked over to one of the doors.

      It looked like a master bedroom and so I walked in, there were 2 nightstands and with nothing else for me to do I chose to look through them. The first one had nothing but an old Swiss Army knife that could come in handy so I pocketed it. I walked around the bed to the other side table and opened it.

    "Woah-." I said picking up the solid black handgun, it was heavier then I had expected then again I never handled a gun before. There was a box of ammo shoved in the back so I grabbed it and put it in my backpack. "Hey...Chris!" I called flipping the gun back and forth in my hand as I walked out of the room.
      "Ya what?" He said walking out of the room. "I think I found something useful." I replied holding up the gun. "Woah! Watch where you're pointing that thing. Here let me see it." He said while putting a hand out for the gun.
"You got lucky, the safety is off you have to be careful with these." He said looking at the gun. He pressed a button ejecting a magazine of bullets, "wow fully loaded this could do some damage." He said loading the gun and turning on the safety.

   "Any extra ammo?" He asked.
    "Ya I put the box in my bag. About 50 bullets, it's pretty heavy." I answered.
    "Good, this will be yours then I'll teach you how to use it. I found my own weapon." He said smirking, he led me out to what seemed like a garage.

    On the table was a black hunting rifle with boxes of ammunition next to it.
   "Seems we've gotten lucky." I said with a little laugh.
   "Ya, I'm glad I came up here during hunting season John showed me how to work this baby." He said with a smile holding up the gun. "Now, it's getting dark, you go turn out all the lights. I'll stay out here and keep watch, you get some sleep." He said, leading me out of the garage with his hand on my shoulder and the gun in his other.

    I nodded and walked back into the master bedroom setting my bag next to the bed and climbing into it. I set the gun on the table beside me and covered up, I don't know what the hell is happening. But I trust Chris will get us through it.