Chapter Seven

"What, what, Shhh!" He said coming over to the door. I showed him the phone and he went pale taking it from my hand. I watched him pacing the side of the car holding the phone to his ear. His arms were crossed and close to his chest with one hand holding the phone to his ear. I could hear a muffled voice coming from the phone. He seemed to pause as he dropped down to the ground beside the car. He leaned his head against the wheel and pulled the phone away from his ear. I watched as he chucked my phone across the concrete it shattered exploding glass everywhere. "Hey! I need that!" He stood up walking back and forth with his hands lifted behind his head. "Chris what the hell!" I said loudly, not quite yelling. He placed his hands on the car hitting the hood leaving a dent. "Chris!" I couldn't understand what was wrong with him. I unbuckled the belt and walked around to him. "Chris what's wrong?" I said placing a hand on his shoulder, my other hand holding his arm. "Nothing, get in the car." He mumbled. I looked at him in confusion. "Chris-." I started, "Jennifer, get in the car!" He yelled looking me dead in the eyes. I stepped back shocked, removing my hands from him. "I-I'm sorry." He said just as shocked at himself and looking at me. "What did she say." I asked quietly looking down and over at the broken phone. "What?" He questioned. "What did mom say?" I said looking at him timidly. "Nothing..." he said quietly as he walked back over to his seat and sat down buckling himself in. I frantically walked over to the other side of the car and sat myself down in the seat buckling myself as well. "She obviously didn't say nothing, you destroyed my phone." I said in a mixture of annoyance and confusion. He started the car and rubbed his forehead with his other hand as he drove off. "Hand me the map." He said putting his hand out. "Tell me what she said?" I responded snarkily. "Jen..." he said, stopping the car in the middle of the road and turning to look at me. "I'm sorry for freaking out back there..." he paused. "She was in the middle of saying where her and dad were hiding out when the phone died, I just overreacted. She probably messaged me or called me with the same information." He said placing his hand on my shoulder. "I'm gonna get you to the safe house and then I'll go look for them, I don't want you out here anymore with no shelter." He said with a weak smile as I hesitantly handed him the map. I laid back against the seat, "dads probably doing a good job protecting mom." I smiled looking out the window. Chris didn't respond.

We drove all through the night I'd fallen asleep halfway through and I couldn't believe Chris lasted the entire night. I woke up as the car rocked back and forth on gravel roads. The sun was a blinding orange and the land around me was all golden from the sunlight. In the distance a large plantation took shape, it looked like a museum, it was so large. The land around it was secluded and the drive towards it was long and open. The valleys surrounding it were vast and green. "It's beautiful." I said leaning forward. I looked over at Chris who nodded, his eyes were puffy and red. I couldn't tell if it was from being tired, or from crying. "You should rest when we get there you look awful." I said sitting back against the seat. "I'm ok I need to go find mom and dad." He said rubbing his eyes as we parked in front of the plantation. Chris grabbed a water bottle from his backpack and poured some of the water into his eyes." It restored some color to his eyes and removed some of the puffiness around them. He walked to the back grabbing the gun bag and walking up the stairs. He knocked on the door and I peeked through the window, unable to see through the boards only mild lace poking through. The door opened slowly, a group of people stood at the door.  A woman holding tight to her son who was about 8, an older man, a young guy and his wife or girlfriend, and in the middle a man about my age stood holding the door. He had a pistol in one hand but he slowly put it into his pocket. "Are you the ones we talked to yesterday." The man said, his voice was familiar, it was the same exact voice from the radio. "Yes!" I spiked up excitedly, quieting myself afterwards. "And are those the guns." He questioned. Chris nodded. The man waited for a second before nodding and waving us inside. The inside was just as gorgeous as the outside. Gorgeous candle lit chandeliers covered the ceilings lighting up the gorgeous house inside. I looked around in awe and amazement as he led us to a decadent sitting room. We sat across from each other, Chris set the gun bag on the table opening it. He counted out half of it, we'd gotten doubles of every available gun and ammo box so we barely lost any guns in the trade. "So, boyfriend and girlfriend?" He asked as he examined the guns and made sure the annoying boxes were full. "No...brother and sister." I said looking over at him. He looked up and caught my gaze. He smiled and looked back down at the guns. "Well, I think we could use a couple hands around here." He said smiling. I returned the smile and looked over at Chris. He tiredly smiled back and grabbed the rest of the bag. "You need sleep, I'll show you your rooms." He stood up taking us up a staircase and leading us down a hallway. We were right across from each other in the last rooms of the house. My room was a gorgeous white Georgian bedroom, and Chris was in a green version of my room. I laid my bag on the bed and fell against the bouncy feather mattress. It felt amazing to be in a real bed again. It had only been a day but I was already so tired. I pulled myself over to the pillow and melted into the bed. "There's some clothes in the dresser they might fit you." He said before turning to leave. I nodded as I walked over to the dresser. The clothes looked like my size, I wouldn't know till I tried them on but I would worry about that then. This could be home, this felt like home.