Chapter Six

It had grown dark and we'd been driving all day, the gas was starting to run low and there was a gas can in the trunk but it was almost empty after using it earlier so we looked for a gas station we could stop at. "I don't think I've ever seen the streets so empty...so quiet." I said leaning my head against the cold window. It was august in Georgia so it was hot during the day and cool during the night. "Even the backroads had other cars tailing you once in a while." I said with a lighter tone. He just smiled and continued driving. I looked back out the side window. The woods were pitch black now and the only thing I could see was what the car lights illuminated. "I miss the keep." He said quietly. "That baby would have run on one tank for more then 5 minutes like this hunk of junk." He angrily mumbled. "We can always go back Chris." I responded. "No...we're at least 6 hours away from the city and last time we were there a horde of them were approaching the home." He mumbled looking back at me. I just stayed silent crossing my arms awkwardly and sinking into the seat. "There I see a gas station...seems mildly empty, only a couple walkers I can handle them." He said, slowing down to turn. The car lights illuminated two slouched walkers that slowly turned to face us shuffling towards the car. "Keep your knife out just in case." He said, pulling out his knife and jumping out of the car, he walked over to the walkers. In the darkness all I could hear was the heavy thud of them hitting the ground in the pitch black surroundings. I sat anxiously in the darkness. I laid the chair back and closed my eyes, I'd never seen darkness darker than when I closed my eyes. "Is...Is anybody out there." The buzzing of the radio let out, causing me to jump. I swung the car seat up and grabbed the radio. I felt around for the button and held it down, "h-hello who is this...is there anybody else there, anybody with you?" I said frantically hoping they heard me. I couldn't believe it, somebody else was out there, somebody else was alive, we weren't alone. "Ya...we're out here, where are you." The voice responded. "We...we! You have others!" I said excitedly. "Yes, 6 of us." He responded. "We have a camp in an old plantation." He added. "Where-Where is this plantation." I asked. "Depends, are you alone?" He responded. "It's...it's me and my brother that's it." I said my eyes adjusting to the darkness so I could see my brother filling up gas cans, he must have found more. "How many of these lame brains have you killed?" He questioned me again. "I-I...um I've killed 3, my brother 4 or 5 I'm not quite sure for him." I responded. "I don't know you don't seem experienced enough, we can't be worrying about you." He said the clicking of the radio turning off made my stomach drop. "Wait! We-we have guns, lots of guns and ammo! We have enough for a whole riot squad!" I said frantically trying to get him back on the line. "Where did you get these "guns"." He questioned. "We...we raided a police station." I responded. "You got a map on you?" He asked. I set the radio down and popped open the glove compartment, a map was stuffed in the back so I fished it out. "Ok I got one." I responded. "Where on the map are you?" He asked. I paused, the map looked like pictures to me. I couldn't tell what anything was. "Damn you GPS." I said unbuckling and opening the door. "Chris!" I whispered loudly. "I need your help." I said quietly.
He brought two of the heavy gas containers over and stood next to the car door. "Where are we on the map?" I asked him. He pulled a flashlight out. "Why are you asking?" He said turning the flashlight towards the paper and pulling it onto the hood of the car. "I'll let you talk to him." I said ducking into the car to grab the radio. "Wait...him!?" He questioned. "I've got my brother here, he knows more about this then me." I said handing my brother the radio. "Who are you...what do you want?" Chris asked in a stern angry tone. "Chris!" I snapped at him in a whispered tone. He looked up at me and returned to the map. "So you're the brother." The voice responded snarkily. Chris jumped. "Anyways let's figure out how we can get you to our camp." The voice responded. "Wait, you have a camp?" Chris asked. "We have a camp, you have guns...I see a fair trade happening." The voice responded. "Jen get back in the car let me handle this." Chris said pushing my door closed. I complied and sat in the darkness watching the flashlight move across the map reflecting on his face. Chris looked rugged now, he looked angry...he'd lost the softness he always had before the apocalypse. I could hear him bickering over the fact he had to give up some of his guns but in the end he walked back over to his door and clipped the radio to the dashboard. He walked over to the other gas station grabbing the containers and bringing them over to the other 2. He walked to the trunk and placed them in the back. We had 4 full containers now and we could make it almost anywhere, basically out of Georgia if we felt like it. "I'll fill up the car and then we've got a plantation to find." He said with a smile. I leaned my head back against the seat with a smile. I pulled my phone out of my bag, it was dying. I looked down at my notifications and my eyes widened. "Chris!" I yelled.