Day 85

I could barely get out of bed that morning

I could barely get out of bed that morning. But I faked sick long enough that they'd send me to the hospital if it lasted any longer. So I had to recover and return to classes.

When I exited the bathroom with my uniform on, my roommate Angelica was just entering.

"Where were you?" I questioned.

"If you ever woke up early." She sat down on the bed, red hair bouncing. Opening up an envelope pushed it over her shoulder, "You'd realize that I get the mail on Friday mornings."

Angelica handed one to me, "Since you were faking sick I decided to grab this for you."

Her voice was empty like a lot of people at this school. Even when she was being kind it was shrouded by bitterness.

I looked down at the envelope. It was from my ex-boyfriend John. The black ink of the return address was smudged, but I already knew it. Some things you just don't forget.

Angelica gently opened her letter. Her freckled face crinkled up with a grimace, "It's from my parents."

I fell back into my bed, tearing apart the envelope and pulling out a page of notebook paper.

John was a messy dude, and left-handed so words were covered in smudges of gray. I was messy too, that's why I dated him.

I wish we could have just been friends instead of rushing into love. But we got along well and like the stupid teenagers we were, assumed that meant we should be together.

Dear Viv, he wrote. I wasn't sure if I should send you a letter or just leave you alone.

But I promised myself that if I came up with something good to say that I'd send it to you. It isn't good, but it's important. So please keep reading.

I did. It turned my stomach to think of what he might say, but I did. I sat up and the page was lit up by the lemon yellow light on the ceiling.

A week after you left I went on a camping trip with my dad. I don't remember how the conversation got to it but we started talking about you. Nothing that you'd be offended by, he just thought you were a bad influence.

The thing was, even though I said no I did for the wrong reasons. I realized that our relationship didn't make either of us worse or better. I'm sorry to put you through this, but I'm almost sure you feel the same way.

We were good hanging out together, but we didn't kiss and I'm still a virgin. I don't even want to not be a virgin. I don't want a girlfriend or even a boyfriend at all.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is- I looked it up and I thought for a long time. 'I'm just gonna go out and say it. I'm asexual, and I'm aromantic. I hope you know what those things are because I don't know how to explain it.