Chapter 6: A Candidate

Fellow candidates? Candidates for what? She shook her head. She supposed she'd find out when Nagavi deigned to inform her.

They entered the building, and she trotted behind him taking in her new surroundings.

The polished wooden-floored corridor was wide, and the full-length windows flooded the space with bright sunshine. After several turns, Nagavi rapped on a door, shot her an amused expression, and walked into the room.

The idea of running flashed through her mind but fled as swiftly as it came. Where could she go on a planet she didn't know—a planet that was the emperor's seat. Nagavi would catch her and administer punishment before she made it to the end of the corridor. She traipsed after the senior officer.

The room was a generously proportioned gymnasium with ceiling height windows offering a pleasant view of a manicured lawn bordered by flowering bushes. Half a dozen men and women were lifting heavy weights. On the far side of the hall, she could see others engaged in sword fighting and hand-to-hand combat. Her spirits lifted a fraction. A gym was a familiar environment. Most of the occupants appeared to be around her age or older, and a couple looked to be Nagavi's age, but they all stood to attention as they registered their senior officer's presence.

All at once, everyone's gaze shifted to the gardens, where a tall blond man strode into view, trailed by a second shorter dark-haired man. The glass must be soundproof as she couldn't hear a word even though the blond had turned around and, judging by their expressions and gestures, a heated argument between the two was in full flow.

"Annen," Nagavi said.

An older grim-faced man crossed the room, knocked on the glass, and beckoned the two adversaries inside.

The pair stared at him but broke off their argument.

Nagavi waited until the two men were inside the gym before making his announcement. "This is Kia O'Afon, the final candidate."

Kia did her best to appear nonchalant and confident while inside she curled up into a tiny ball and wished she could disappear.

"Training will begin this afternoon," Nagavi continued, "UmnaCheydii, Kia's in your charge, show her around and get her settled. I'll see you all at lunch." He spun on his heel and left, the chorus of promptly barked, "Yes, Commander" following him out of the room.

The group returned to whatever they were doing but as they did, every single person threw a glance her way, sizing her up. Of the two who'd arrived late, the darker man ignored her, and the detailed scrutiny the other gave, his eyes raking her from head to toe, nearly made her blush. The submissive stance displayed in Nagavi's presence disappeared, and they took no pains to disguise their disdainful hostility as they dismissed her chances of beating them at anything.

Annen dressed down the couple who'd been arguing outside.

Kia watched and didn't envy them having to explain their behavior to him. She turned as UmnaCheydii approached.

"As you can tell, Annen supervises the males, and I'm in charge of the females, and call me Cheydii. Nobody but Commander Nagavi uses my full name." Cheydii led her out of the gymnasium to the main corridor running the length of the building and up a flight of stairs. "Tell me, Kia, do you think you've got what it takes to qualify as one of Lord Rial's Chenjerai?"

Kia's mind went blank as she processed Cheydii's words. "I have no idea what I'm doing here. I didn't apply or pass any kind of test unless surviving a cave-in on a mining asteroid counts for something." She hadn't been told not to discuss the accident although nobody else passed that unique test. "The Heir and Nagavi brought me here."