Sun Meets Moon

Dekhna, jis din tumhari zindagi mein woh ladki aayengi na, jiske bina tumhari dhadkane ruk jayengi, jiske bina tum jee nahi paonge. Tumhe aisa lage ga ke agar woh tumhe na mili toh tumhari saansein hi rukh jaengi... Jab kabhi dil mein kuch aaye na, usse bol dena chahiye. [Just wait. The day will come when that girl comes into your life, without whom your heart will stop beating, without whom you won't be able to live. You'll feel as if your every breath will stop if you don't have her... Whenever something comes into your heart, you should say it immediately.]

His mind echoed with the words of his beloved Di as he spiralled up the staircase he had seen her climb. His pulse raced, his palms sweat and he smiled as he finally decided to listen to the tune in his heart. He approached the door with anticipation and a huge smile on his face. After a pause in which he only pictured the woman he loved, he opened the door and his eyes found exactly who they craved.

She was standing with her back to him. Khushi, his Khushi, was fiddling with the fairy lights that decorated the stage. His mind wandered back to the days before Diwali, the moment he had unwrapped her from the tangle of lights. He just knew that she was thinking of the same moment.

As if some sixth sense had alerted her of his presence - the same that alerted him of hers - she turned to face him. Her lips formed a small, tentative smile as she felt her wait come to an end.

She looked breath-taking; her hair forming a waterfall down her length, her eyes locked with his, her lips quivering slightly and her face flushing in its usual way. He froze for a moment, knowing that everything his brother and sister had told him about love, was all true, so completely true.

"Khushi." He breathed.

"Ar- Arnavji." She replied.

He started to walk towards the stage and she watched him in a cocktail of joy and nervousness. When he climbed the steps of the stage, she turned to face him, taking in his physicality.

"Main tumse kuch kehna chhahta hu. (I want to tell you something.)" He said as he studied her breathing rate increase rapidly.

"Aisa kya ke aapne humme yahan bulaya (something so important that you called me up here)?" Khushi said, already having many clues to how this conversation would go.

Arnav tilted an eyebrow. "Maine? Maine tumhe yahan nahi bulaya. (Me? I didn't call you up here.)"

Khushi squinted. "Par woh sandesh, humaare aaine pe? (But there was a message to meet here on my mirror?"

Who called her up? They thought. His family? Someone else? Regardless, they were finally alone and no one could really interrupt them up here.

"Tumhe laga ke maine woh message lekha? (you thought I wrote that message for you?)" His gaze was soft.

She blushed. "Hum- humme nahin laga tha ke aur koi aisa karenga. (I didn't think anyone else would)"

He smiled and opened his mouth but heard Khushi's phone chime, indicating a message.

"Ek second. (One second)" She said as she checked her phone quickly. When she looked back up, she spoke again.

"Sab humme dhoond rahe hai, Jiji ko tayaar karna hai aur itna kaam khatam karna hai. Hum ek kaam karte hai, aapse baad mein baat karte hai. (Everyone's looking for me, I need to help Jiji get ready and finish all the work. I'll do one thing and then talk to you later)" She turned to leave but he was quick to gently hold her arm.

"Agar tumne meri baat nahin suni toh main tumhari jiji ki shaadi nahin hone doonga. (If you don't listen to me, I won't let your sister get married)"