4. Five Months Ago

"Never have I ever..." Veronica has to think for a moment. "Had sex in a public place."

Most of the people playing don't take a drink, but we make sure to laugh at the ones who do. Per the rules, Veronica picks one person to have to share their story. "Mandy, spill it."

As Mandy Rogers start telling a story of a skinny dipping experience gone too far, I realize that I'm not sure why I said I'd play. Even if I were drinking tonight, I've never done anything scandalous, so the point is basically lost on me.

I see Mandy's cousin, Ian, and his girlfriend making their way over from the keg on the other side of the room. I notice Amanda has a cup, but not Ian. When they get close, I stand up.

"Lilly, you don't need to get up," Ian says. "I can find us some seats."

"Yeah, Lilly, stay," Bailey, who I was sitting next to, says. "Ian can get a chair from over there."

"Thanks, but I think I need some fresh air," I tell them.

"It's freezing outside," Bailey comments.

I bend over, grabbing my jacket from the back of the couch. "I'll be fine, and I'll be right back."

As I'm walking away, I can hear Mandy's turn. "Never have I ever...hooked up with someone at a relative's house."

That seems like an oddly specific one, but must be effective since I hear several shouts of laughter.

And then Ian's voice. "Seriously Bailey? Ew." Being twins must be so weird.

I wave at a few people as I make my way through the kitchen towards the back door. I've been to a couple parties here—Derek is known to have one at least every other month—so I know my way around.

Lexi is talking to Henry Greene in the hallway as I pass, and I say a few words to them before continuing on. I'm glad she convinced me to come with her tonight—the truth is that I'm not even sure why I didn't want to come. But that doesn't change the fact that my introverted self needs a few minutes alone.

Some guys are in the back yard smoking when I get out there. I recognize one of them as Nick Robinson, but the others are older, maybe graduated in the last few years. Either way, I don't feel an obligation to say hi and sit down on one of the porch steps, wrapping my coat tighter around me.

I'm out here for a few minutes when I hear a voice behind me. "You know, you're just a few steps away from a nice, warm house."

I don't look back. "I'm aware. Thank you."

"So what?" Aric sits down next to me. "I get you an A on your project, and then you just don't talk to me?"

"We both worked on that—" I turn to him and see him grinning.

"I'm joking." He pats my knee, and I try not to think about the night we watched the movie together. About the almost-kiss that never happened.

Because I hadn't thought of it at all in the last month. When Aric never texted or called me again, I didn't keep my phone attached to my hand hoping he would. When we discussed the presentation at school, I didn't stare at his lips, wondering if they were as soft as they looked that night. And when he was speaking in front of the class, I didn't recall how his voice sounded so close to my ear.