Chapters 11-2

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. This contact instantly reconnected me to the present. Turning my head slightly, I saw Faïz preoccupied by my mood. He had surely guessed the cause of my sudden anxiety. He plunged his eyes into mine, and without him uttering a single word, I heard his silent promise. With a slight nod, I made him understand that I would be all right. My subconscious focused again on the words of the CIA's deputy director.

"If we fail in our mission, Pavel will sink the world economy and take control of the country's atomic weapons, but also those of others countries. Moreover, we can say today that he has developed a fearsome virus that he intends to spread around the world. Los Angeles would therefore be the first outbreak of this terrible pandemic."

"What's the plan?" interrupted one of the braided and red-bearded Leviathans.

The colossus glanced in Faïz's direction, as if to make sure he had his authorization to speak, and continued:

"Have you ever thought about closing every road, every airport and every nook and cranny of this city?"

"We are in the process of doing so," confided the deputy director. "Now that the entire population is contained, we can..."

"You are doing so?" repeated the bearded man, annoyed. "The Maestro is always one step ahead of us, because you're not capable of..."

"Bring in all the protection services to reinforce the security of the premises in containment," Faïz cut him off. right, you're late!"

An icy tension now reigned in the room.

"Police officers are already in the field."

"That won't be enough! We need to set up tactical units. The Maestro's army is much larger than you think."

"Barthey," Ray intervened. "You have to understand that you have to call every security service in the country. We're on high alert. We can't go in blind. Otherwise, it's a hopeless end."

Ray had uttered these last words while looking at Asarys with crying despair. A shiver ran down my spine.

"My father has nothing left to lose."

Masha's voice came to break the heavy silence.

"He sold his soul to the devil. Pavel has nothing left to sell," she repeated.

The inspector passed a hand over his face, looking serious. He, who wasn't of the same rank as all the generals and federal agents present in this room, had the heaviest responsibility. He was the connection between the Leviathans and the government, the connection between two completely different worlds, and without him no agreement would be possible. I understood better now why it was important for him to have Martinez at his side. He was the replacement. Barthey wanted to keep this connection between the two parties. Unfortunately, with Faïz, that could be complicated.

Suddenly, the lights flickered. My brain sent out warning signals and my eyes began to wander between Lexy and Asarys. Panic gripped me as a man rushed into the security center to stop Peyton, but also Barthey. Anxious, I jumped up and intercepted Faïz before he left to join the inspector. Unhappy that I prevent him from doing as he pleases, he gave me a look of the darkest.

"Call your mother!" I said softly.

Faïz glanced at Barthey in the distance without taking into account what I asked him.

"Faïz!" I shouted to force him to look at me. "Georgia, call your mother right now."

That name acted on him immediately. He carried out my order and dialed the villa without further delay. The seconds seemed like hours to me.

"Shit!" Faïz swore as he hung up abruptly. "I'm going to call her directly on her phone."