Chapters 12-6

FAÏZ

The young man, beside Agent Martinez, raised his head as Zoe's body fell to the ground. The shock was so strong that dust rose all around her. His eyes widened as he saw Pavel approach the young woman, watching her with undisguised interest.

"Faïz?" called Masha, desperate. "Free Martinez, he's letting himself go."

Torn between the choice of rescuing the woman he loved or freeing this FBI agent, Faïz finally chooses to keep his word by breaking the chains that held Stephen's feet and hands. The poor unfortunate man immediately put his hands on the torture collar and tried hard to get his hands on it.

"Get it off me!" he shouted. "I'm going crazy."

Faïz blocked his head with his hand to prevent him from moving, then with the other, ripped off without difficulty the metal choker. Officer Martinez stumbled from his chair, too eager to get out of his diabolical shackles. Panting, he crawled away on all fours before stopping to hold his bloody chin.

"Take him outside and give him first aid," ordered Faïz to Masha.

"No, I'm staying."

"Come on!" roared the young man. "I don't have the time to worry about you."

Despite her reason for staying, Masha obeyed the authoritarian voice in front of her. Reluctantly, she helped Martinez get up, putting her arm around his shoulders, and then they hurried out of there before the Maestro stopped them. Stephen preferred to die rather than return on the chair of torture.

The moment Pavel grabbed Zoe by her hair, Faïz, horrified, rushed towards him to force him to let her go. At that moment, he doubted he would win the fight against this demonic being and didn't know if he would see his daughter again. His only goal now was to buy time so that Zoe could regain consciousness and escape from here as fast as possible to have a chance to stay alive.

Outside the walls of the house, in the air, a wild chase was going on between Elijah and the shadow horsemen. The angel, with huge wings, was trying to escape from these raptors hungry for souls like his own. Suddenly, a young man with a round face and fine features appeared beside him. He who had been hidden from the light, but also from Elijah's eyes for years, had just shown himself again in the darkness of that night, lit by repeated flashes of lightning.

"My old friend, the darkness seems very upset with you!" the man remarked ironically.

The latter, dressed in an elegant amber toga, had very short silver hair. His piercing gaze carefully scanned the top of his neighbor's head.

"It isn't the time, Condor. The damn ghosts have been on my ass for several minutes now."

He was trying to repress his anger at the words of his former teammate.

"No wonder, your halo of light looks more like crushed glass than anything else. The source didn't give you back your full capabilities."

Elijah climbed back up to the top of the hill and answered his neighbor with a clenched jaw:

"How would you like to make yourself useful for once? Instead of procrastinating, you could start looking for Georgia. You may have forgotten, but she's in danger right now, buried alive in that park."

"What did you think I've been doing all this time?"

"Nothing!" replied Elijah, regretting having opened his mouth.

"We'll have to work on your damn character when this is over. All those years on Earth didn't do you any good."

The two friends turned to the right at the same time in order to follow the current of the wind to go faster.

"I've combed through all the northwest and the east," said Condor. "But I haven't been able to capture Georgia's energy."

The two acolytes pricked down and started slaloming between the trees with the ghosts still behind them. The abstract forms, with their flamboyant red pupils, seemed to twist and stretch out to better reach the two angels.

"Can you take care of the horsemen? Or at least try to slow them down? I'm going to look for the little one south of the park."

"I should be able to do it."

Condor went up to the sky in circles. His celestial halo began to sparkle more to draw the demonic shadows in his direction. Hypnotized, they forgot to follow Elijah who was sinking into the wooded forest.