Chapters 14-2

Pavel collapsed to the ground, holding his head with his hands to prevent himself from seeing the imperceptible. Neither Faïz nor I heard anything but the dreadful groans that escaped from his body. Lying on the ground, he seemed to be suffering martyrdom. Small lights, like burning embers, began to glow around him. They came and settled all over his body and face. My friend's halo continued to shine. His halo captured an energy that spread through his beautiful wings.

"Zoe?" Faïz called me.

Adrenaline started coursing through my veins. I forgot the pain in my head and started to run towards Elijah.

The screams of rage from the monster on the ground tried to push me away. His suffering pierced his so black eyes. Too busy watching Pavel strike me with his eyes and silently promising me that it wasn't over, I didn't feel Faïz take the ruby from my hands. The dark brown haired man leaned over Athanasius and with a violent punch almost knocked out his rival.

"This is for my daughter!"

Then he effortlessly opened Pavel's jaw to make him swallow the stone. Faïz then blocked his nose and mouth to force him to swallow it. A final knee kick in the belly forced the Maestro to capitulate.

Elijah's feet touched the asphalt as Pavel's skull hit the ground. The light from his halo gradually diminished. Frozen, I could no longer hear anything around me. I saw without seeing, Faïz chain the body of our enemy. The ruby in him, the Maestro could no longer leave this human envelope. He was a prisoner inside. It was over. Exhausted, I fell to my knees. Exhausted from this war against evil, exhausted from the last five years, exhausted from crying so much over William's passing and all those other tearless sobs...

I ran non-stop through the underground, in a hurry to get to the outside so I could hug my daughter. My heartbeat was squeezing my chest.

******************

My feet were treading the grass. In the distance, dawn was beginning to break. I filled my lungs with air. The sound of a car door caught my attention, then a second later, Asarys and Lexy were walking towards me, Georgia in their arms. I suffocated as my eyes filled with tears. It was with a heavy and relieved heart that I rushed towards them. With open arms, they welcomed me, overwhelmed with emotion.