Chapter 13

August 22nd, 2047

2:41 P.M.

Portage, Michigan, U.S.A.

Catherine and Shade looked up in shock as another humanoid figure, similar to Shade but smaller and carrying a fainter silver glow, stood panting in front of them. Its eyes were wild in terror, small silver dots that carried more emotion than some humans.

Shade was quick to ask questions while his Commander gathered herself. "Clorias?" he demanded of the quivering shape. "Where? And where is your general?"

"He sent me! I'm just the messenger!" it wailed, shaking viciously as it stared at Shade with fear. "They're all over the place! There's a large battalion coming this way, too!"

That got Catherine's attention. All thoughts of her past forgotten, she rose to her feet, wiping away the tears before putting on a stern voice. "How big? How many are attacking the city? Will the Keepers be able to take them on if they're alone or in pairs?"

This poor shadow, Catherine thought with a hint of sympathy as the dark-bodied figure spoke again. "The battalion coming here is the largest anyone's seen! There must be hundreds, maybe thousands! The rest of the squadrons aren't nearly as big but there's still quite a few!"

"Will the Keepers be able to take them alone? In pairs?" Catherine demanded again, blue eyes sparkling with worry despite how calm she tried to make herself appear.

The shadow nodded frantically. "In pairs, they'll be just fine," he informed them rapidly, the information flying out of him like a hurricane of words, "and I would think Hailey and maybe a couple of others like Eric or Buck can take on a squadron by themselves, but I don't know!"

A loud screech, followed by a clang and a shriek of terror met Catherine's ears shortly after. Pulling her hood back over her eyes, she poked her head out from behind the corner of her home and looked into the street, dreading what she was about to see before she even laid eyes on it.

A small red car had been flipped over onto its side, wheels still spinning, while the occupants - a woman and a teenage boy - were staring wide-eyed and terrified at a large orange robot, standing on two legs, flat-footed, that was aiming its gun arm at them. It's lone red eye gazed back emptily at them, but its back, carrying the front of a machine gun, was turned to Catherine and the two shadows hiding around the corner of her house.

"They're gonna get slaughtered," she whispered in horror, knowing Shade could understand her. "Knaves are vicious; it'll kill them without hesitation."

"Then you have to save them," Shade reminded her calmly, following Catherine's blue gaze. "Don't forget it's a robot, and don't be afraid to show what you can do. This is war, C, and no one will think twice about something weird about you if you saved their life."

Before the messenger shadow could get away, she turned and faced it. "Go and find Madi," Catherine ordered quickly, the image of a black-haired girl with navy blue eyes and dark skin flashing in her mind. "I highly doubt she doesn't know what's going on, but just to be sure, get to her and tell her to alert the rest of the Keepers to get back here and defend our hometown."

It stared at her in dismay. "But what about you?" it asked nervously, quivering. "Don't you want help to defend this place?"

Catherine sighed. The Keepers didn't need her getting under their claws. "I'll manage without them. Portage needs the Keepers out there more than they need me. Now go!" she commanded sharply.