Chapter 3

Halos matumba ako sa mismong kinatatayuan ko, I wanted to move but I couldn’t. It feels like someone’s still with us. My body felt uneasiness, I couldn’t fucking move.

Bloods are everywhere, nanginginig ang buong sistema ko. My energy left my body.

Until I heard some footsteps, someone’s coming. There in that exact moment, I felt hope. Someone’s going to help us. Nakatayo lamang ako sa harapan ng dugo-ang bangkay nung makita kami ng isang teacher at isang guard.

“Ma’am sigurado ka bang dito mo narinig ang sigaw—“ di natapos ng gwardya ang kanyang sasabihin nang makita kami, pati ang kanilang mga ekspresyon ay nagkahalong gulat at takot.

“S-Sorcha iha..” gulat pa ring sambit ng guro.

“M-Ma’am, t-tulong m-may humahabol p-po sakanya at w-wala na po s-syang buhay nang m-makita k-ko, t-tulungan po natin s-siya” pautal-utal kong sabi.

“M-Ma’am let’s h-help her!” I shouted when it felt like they didn’t hear any of my words.

Then the guard started calling the Police, uneasiness is still swallowing my body. At this exact moment, I couldn’t think of anything but who did this, how monstrous could he be, or she, I don’t know.

“Sorcha, h-how could you d-do this?” maging ako ay nagulat sa tanong ni Ma’am Velasquec.

Is she suspecting me!?

I couldn’t respond in her question. I wanted to defend myself, I have to, but I couldn’t.
“Ma’am calm down, di dapat tayo basta basta mag sususpetsiya laban kanino. Papunta na ang mga pulis, sila na ang bahala sa lahat. Kailangan nalang ipaalam sa mga studyante na maging alerto at wag lalabas ng classroom.” the guard told us when he overheard our conversation.

She didn’t bother to move, she just kept looking at me and there were times that she’ll glance at the body and then look at me immediately. She was really suspecting me.

Seconds later, more guards came and students were joining the crowd. We waited for how many minutes till the Police and the Investigator came. They started looking for evidences that they think might help. And they found nothing but a piece of a green broken glass. I wonder if it was part of the crime or was it just there the whole time.

Unexpectedly, they did not find any fingerprints, how come? Then I suddenly remembered what I saw a while ago, he wasn’t holding anything, even a single cotton, I saw it from my own eyes.

But what weapon did he use to stab the woman? Of course it isn’t the green broken glasses. There were no blood stains in there, not even a droplet.

When I saw one Investigator approached our way, I immediately ran towards him.

“Kuya! Kuya!” dali-daling tawag ko sakanya. Agad niya naman akong sinalubong at hinarap ng nagtatakang tingin. He’s not that old I guess, he’s like a 29 years old.

“Ano iyon miss? Bakit nakapasok ka dito? Isa ka ba sa mga witness?” He asked using his Authority voice.

“Yes kuya, not just a typical witness, I was there before she was killed. I saw some details and information that may help.” I breathed heavily while saying those words to him.

“State your name and age please.” Utos nito

“Sorcha Zoraida Roosevelt. 17” pagpapakilala ko pa.

Tinapunan niya ako ng gulat at sorpresang tingin, “Youngest daughter of Mister Bruce Roosevelt, the richest CEO in 6 countries and soon will become 9?” he asked

“Y-Yes” and there, realization hit me, I might get involved in this issue and the whole company will be in such big trouble. Daddy’s business will surely go down.

The same situation happened years ago at buti nga nalusutan pa ni Daddy. What the heck will I do?? I can’t sacrifice Daddy’s company but I also don’t want to stay silent. I am aware of what’s happening in my surroundings and I badly want to help.

“May we invite you at our location this 2pm? Here’s the address. We’ll just get enough information that we may use. Thank you for your cooperation. We are hoping that you are honest with your testimonies later.” He handed me a card with his address and phone number. He also showed me his licence. Enough for me to trust him.

Mahirap na at baka kalaban din pala siya.

“All you have to do is to call your parents and settle everything.” He said

“Y-Yes Thank y-you” utal-utal kong wika. Daddy’s really gonna sue me for this.

He nodded at me before going away. He came back at the crime scene.

____________

“Dad, I-Im sorry I was just trying to help, they will just ask me about what I saw earlier. This might help them solve the case.” I’m on a call with Daddy. Nasa call palang ito ngunit ramdam na ramdam ko ang tension at galit niya.

“Sorcha, weren’t you thinking? This will surely affect the company, aren’t you aware!?”

“But D-Dad, nothing’s gonna happen, ok? I’ll just state everything and it’s done, maybe the public won’t even know that I witnessed.” Pagtanggol ko pa sa sarili ko.

“Ano ba Sorcha? I didn’t raise a daughter like you. If you spoke against them or whoever it is, they will be searching for you. Well you’ll be in danger now. And Secondly, the company is still raising from its previous issue, kawawa ito at maybe it’ll reach its lowest profit. And lastly Sorcha, it makes a big possibility that they will suspect you. If the murderers will not kill you, surely they’ll put you in that situation.” I froze from Daddy’s words, everything made sense. If I speak against them, I’ll be in a big trouble.

But no, I’ve already made up my mind. I’m going.

________________

It was 2:12pm and I was in a taxi car right now following the address the man gave me. I forgot to bring with me my car. My mind was occupied by the scene earlier. The woman was so pitiful, she deserves justice.

As soon as the car stopped, I stepped outside and took a glance at their building, it looks like a hotel, a fancy one. After paying the taxi driver, I head inside and gave the card to their counter. She showed me the location of the witness room and told me that they are already waiting for me there. Sanaol hinihintay, chos.

Agad nila ako sinalubong nang marating ko ang witness room, Mister Shonann who’s patiently waiting immediately stood up. He guided me to enter the room, he then sat on the table and faced me.

“Please state the name and age again for the record.” He said

“Sorcha Zoraida Roosevelt, 17.” I replied. He was already writing my name in the list. I guess, I can’t back out anymore.

“You are obliged to state the truth miss, nothing but the truth.” He uttered

“Yes, yes of course.” I replied

“What did you witness?” he asked. He’s already starting.

“I witnessed the scene before the crime happened.” I uttered

“And what is that to be exact?” Asked by him

“I heard someone shouting for help, when I came nearer where I heard the voice, I saw a man chasing the victim, I want to help but I couldn’t. My legs were shaking that time, so I just followed them silently, I was hiding behind the plants where I thought he couldn’t see me, and luckily he didn’t. When we reached the place with much more light, they disappeared too fast. And when I heard footsteps coming from the right side corner, I ran there and saw the victim’s body. She’s already dead, killed to be specific.”

I saw the detective is writing some information in his notebook. He then threw me another question.

“You said that you’ve reach the place with light, so obviously you can see the suspect’s face and appearance, am I right?” he said

“Yes, he was wearing a green hoodie with a hook design on the upper right of the back” I stated everything I saw.

“About what time did the crime happen?” He asked again

“Around 9:30 am” I murmured

“How did it happen?” he asked

“I don’t know. I just saw her cold body with her blood soaking.” I uttered

“Did you see the suspect’s face?”

“I’m afraid I haven’t sir, he was fast. He disappeared right away after the incident happened.” I stated.

“Is he holding something? Something the he may use to kill the victim?”

“I also saw nothing sir.”

“How can that be, too suspicious. Isn’t it?” He mumbled before looking back at the papers.

“Did you perhaps, made any encounter with the victim?” he added

“Yes, she is our senior. She will sometimes approach us in our classroom regarding school activities and school events. She’s also active in different social media platforms.” I stated

“Is there something unusual about her behaviour that leads to this?” he said relating about the crime.

“I know her, she’s very kind and polite towards everyone. She even helped me in my thesis in which I didn’t ask for.” Pagtatanggol ko pa. Yes, that’s true, she really is hospitable, I don’t know why she have to experience this.

“Why were you in that place? What did you do?” he asked, changing the topic.

“I was on my way to our classroom, I used that way, which used to be our shortcut.”

“Your shortcut? You mentioned ‘our’ which specifically means that besides you, there are someone who’s using that shortcut also?” he said

“Yes, my best friends.” I uttered

“Besides them? Do you see someone using that way or shortcut to be specific?” he threw questions at me again.

“None sir, they find that place creepy, enough for them to avoid that place.” I said
“What did you do in response to the behaviour or incident happened?” he asked facing me seriously.

“I remain froze, I definitely couldn’t move. I guess my body was still in shock.” I explained.

“For how many minutes were you standing? And you didn’t ask or seek for help?” sunod sunod niyang tanong.

“I told you sir, I was in shock. And Ma’am Velasquec along with the Guard approached the place where Ma’am heard the screams.” Depensa ko. 

“Hmmm…” the he focused his gaze again back to the documents.

“Is there anything else you want to tell me that I haven’t asked you?” he added

“Nothing sir, I already stated everything I saw.” I said confidently

"Well if that's the case, I think we've talk about everything already."

He stood up, I also stood up as well. He immediately lent me his hand, asking for a handshake, I accepted it.

“Thank you Miss Sorcha Zoraida Roosevelt for sharing with us your testimonies without having any doubt. We’ll use this information to catch whoever is behind this crime.” He said, smiling.

“No worries sir, thank you!” I murmured before going outside.

Finally, my mind is at ease. I got a taxi, I’ll head home na. It’s been a tiring and a long day for me. I entered the taxi and went home. I was about to knock but then one of the maids opened it for me. From there, I can feel the tension already.

“So, you really testified huh?” It’s Daddy, he was drinking wine while uttering those words.

“I told you not to. Why are you this hard-headed Sorcha? Did we do something wrong in raising you?” he asked

Yes, you did, you surely did.

I want to say those words in front of him but I don’t have any courage to do so.

“Dad…” I can feel my legs trembling

“If this will affect the company, damn! I don’t know what to do anymore Sorcha.” He said as he placed the glass of wine in the mini table, he stood up and I can see anger and frustration in his eyes.

Mommy then calmed Daddy after seeing him lost his temper. I’m sorry Dad.

“D-dad that wasn’t m-my intention.” I couldn’t even finish my words when he cut me off, Oh gosh. I’m in big trouble now. Help.

“Enough with those unacceptable reasons Sorcha, I’ve had enough.” He said.

“Ellaine, call the University, I’m sending her to a new school.”

HUH!? No, I don’t want to. Ayoko. I’m fine with my studies now, I don’t have to transfer for Pete’s Sake!

“What?!” I asked in confusion

“Why do you have to do this? This isn’t fair Dad.” I added, tears were forming in my eyes as I face him.

“I have to! Do you think you’ll be safe here now knowing the killer is nowhere to be found?” He reasoned out.

“And to sum up with that, the medias will literally talk about you! And what’s worst is you along with your family and the company will be in a complete mess! You have to go somewhere Sorcha. Just be back when everything’s ok. The number of cases is increasing as days go by.” He explained

But I don’t want to. I don’t want to be apart with my family….

“I’m sending you to Monerfhel University.”