Chapter Twenty

Y/N waited anxiously by her window

Y/N waited anxiously by her window. It had been hours after the sun had set and the rain was starting to viciously pour down from the heavens. 

She slightly doubted that Alexios would come to see her in such poor weather. Anyone who stepped outside would immediately be soaked to the bone in cold water. Y/N took one more look outside of her window before she moved away to sit down on her bed. 

After Demetria left she had taken a small nap to escape reality. She couldn't believe that she allowed herself to be so careless. 

She was outside with him in public!

Y/N sighed and started to fiddle with her fingers. She wanted to crack open a book or grind some herbs, but she couldn't risk those secrets being found out too. Without a lock on her door, anyone was free to enter her room at any time. The absence of a lock made her feel so exposed, so uncomfortable.

She huffed and dropped back onto her bed. She stared at her plain ceiling and allowed her thoughts to entertain her. She was going to be married in less than a week. 

She couldn't believe it. Time went by so fast. 

Y/N looked out her window from her reclined position and looked for the moon. She realized that she couldn't see it because it was blocked by rain clouds. Deep inside, she didn't want to see the moon. 

It wasn't a comforting thought anymore, it felt constricting. The moon dictated when she was going to get married so she could only view it as a clock. 

A slave to time. 

Drip Drop 

The young woman sat up in alarm only to come face to face with a very wet assassin. She sat up with a start. "Alexios." She whispered in concern as she stood up and walked over to him. She moved the wet hair out of his face and looked him up and down. "You're soaked." 

She walked over to her small closet and pulled out a towel. Y/N walked back over to him and started to dry his hair. "You didn't have to come in the rain." Her lips tugged into a frown. "I would have understood."

"I wasn't going to let Zeus stop me from seeing you." He chuckled as she started to dry his neck. "I would fight through all his thunder and lightning to see you, Zeus himself if I needed to."

Y/N's face heated up at his strong desire to see her. She shook her head with a small smile on her face. "I still can't believe you came in weather like this."

"What has been happening since I left?" He titled his head. 

She paused her movements for a moment before continuing to dry his breastplate. "I rather talk about what you've been doing." She gave him a small smile. "I want to know about the adventures you've had while you were gone."

"I went to Athens." He smiled at the memory of the lovely place. "I want to take you there one day."  

His smiled was infectious. "I would love to take you up on that offer." Y/N folded the wet towel and placed it on a trunk in her room. She turned back around and made eye contact with him with an excited smile on her face. "Tell me more about Athens."

He leaned back against the wall and stared at nothing. "It's beautiful, and the beaches are amazing." He looked at her with a smile on his face. "The city is a sight to see, too."

Y/N sighed at the thought of Athens. "It sounds like a wonderful place." 

"I still want to know about what happened while I was gone." He reminded her. 

She rubbed her neck and avoided eye contact. "It's actually not important."  

He frowned and stepped in front of her, capturing her gaze. "Everything you say is important."

She bit her lip before looking at him. "Demetria saw us." She quickly blurted out before she started to pace around her room. "She saw us and she wants something from me. It's this special necklace and she's threatening me." She paused and looked at him with wide eyes. "She said she going to tell Ares."

Alexios held onto her before she could continue to frantically pace around her room. "You're rambling, love." He rubbed her arms. "Just tell me what happened."

Y/N took a deep breath. "Demetria saw us together at the well. She wants you to find a special necklace. She told me that if I don't give her the necklace in a few sunsets then she is going to tell Ares about us." She calmly explained. 

"I'll find it for you." He said without hesitation. "I can even go tonight. Just tell me where it is."

She smiled at him softly. "I don't know what I would do without you, Alexios."

He chuckled. "You won't ever have to find out." The smile slowly faded from his face. "Where is it?"

"Demetria said it was in a cave south of here." She pointed south. "She said that it was called Persephone's Petal. Do you think you can find it?"

He nodded. "Getting inside a cave is never the hard part." He looked at the direction she was pointing in. "It's surviving what's in it." 

"Do you think that there's monsters in the caves? Creatures from the gods to protect Persephone's treasure." She asked curiously.

Alexios looked back at her. "Could be." He answered simply. "I am going to find the treasure and be back here before sunrise."

"Okay." She whispered and looked at the moon, which was still high in the sky. "Be back soon." 

He leaned up/down and planted a sweet quick kiss on her lips. "I'll be okay, I can handle a few wild animals." He assured her.

With Y/N convinced, Alexios climbed out of the window. Y/N walked over to the window and watched Alexios' form slowly disappear into the night. A scene that was so familiar to her. 

She frowned and sat down on her bed. She stared at the window and couldn't help but feel like she was robbed. Her limited time with Alexios was being cut short because of a bitter woman.   

Y/N could only hope that this treasure would pacify Demetria and keep her quiet.