Chapter 1

The search for a bride continued on for another few weeks until the council finally found one suitable for Henry. Anne of Cleves, a German princess. Henry had taken in what Elizabeth said and came out of seclusion. That allowed Elizabeth to relax and enjoy herself from the overwhelming responsibilities of regency. The only downside was that Sir Edward still asked for permission to see Prince Edward. One day, just before Elizabeth was set to go to Germany with the escort party to escort Anne of Cleves to England, Elizabeth crossed paths with Edward. Edward came up to Elizabeth when he noticed her in a conversation with her four ladies-in-waiting. The man bowed to the princess and said, "Your Highness, may I speak with you in private?" Elizabeth sighed but nodded and told her ladies to stay while she and Edward moved over to a window, a few feet away. Elizabeth turned to the man and said, "What is it now, Edward?" Edward replied, glaring at the woman he once considered a friend, "I want an explanation why you won't allow me to visit my nephew. You allow my sister, Lady Eleanor and her husband, and my brother, Thomas, to see him. Why not me?" Elizabeth rolled her eyes and said, "Don't think for one second that I am stupid because I am not. I know that it was you all along who pressured Jane to catch my father's eye. Tell me, was her death pleasurable to you? Did you finally get what you wanted? Let me tell you one thing, I don't have to explain my reasoning to anyone. It is time you learn your place, Edward. I am a princess, the heiress to the throne. You are just a lord in the court, placing you below me. I never want to be the one to use my title but you have gone too far. You will not see your nephew until you have proven that your ruthless behavior has ceased and your loyalty is to the crown alone. Do I make myself clear?" Before Edward could respond, Elizabeth left Edward and joined her ladies so they could go to their lessons on how to speak German. They would need to learn German to converse with Anne of Cleves.

A week later, the escort party left England and departed for Calais, where they would meet the German escort party. The escort party included Charles Brandon, Elizabeth and James along with Elizabeth's ladies, Nathaniel, and a German translator. It was a stormy night when the escort party was finally able to meet Anne of Cleves. Elizabeth seemed on the edge, since she wasn't a fan of storms. James noticed this and gently took his wife's hand, giving it a gentle but reassuring squeeze. The horns sounded, announcing the arrival of the German escort. The English ambassador said to the German escort, "Gentlemen, we bid you welcome to Calais on this most auspicious occasion. May I present His Grace, the Duke of Suffolk? Along with, Their Royal Highnesses, Prince James of France and his wife Princess Elizabeth 1st of Tudor, the eldest daughter of King Henry VIII Tudor of England, and His Grace, Duke of Sussex?" The gentleman bowed to the royal group. One of the men said, gesturing to Elizabeth, "Your Royal Highness, might we say that it is an honor to be in your presence? We have heard many great tales of your beauty and kindness to others." Elizabeth bowed her head and replied, "Thank you, Your Excellency." The other escort said, in German, "I am Herr Hoghesten. *He gestured to the man next to him who had complimented Elizabeth* And this is Count Olisleger." Count Olisleger bowed to the group and said, "Hello." Count Olisleger said, finally introducing Anne of Cleves, "And here is she. Her Highness, Princess Anna, after a long time, my God." The Germans began to laugh at the count's tiny joke. Elizabeth shared an unsteady look with her husband and Nathaniel.

The horns sounded again and everyone turned to look at the entrance. A group of women walked in with a woman in the middle, her face covered by a vail. Elizabeth wondered why her face was covered. The both escort parties bowed/curtsied to the princess. Charles said to the foreign princess, "Your Highness." Anne replied, curtsying to the group, "Good day, Your Graces, Your Highnesses." Elizabeth stepped forward and said to the foreign princess, "I am afraid that our departure for England has been delayed due to the weather, Your Highness. We may be here for a few days until we can leave for England." Anne curtsied to the English princess and replied, "I understand, Your Highness. Perhaps, Your Highness could help me explain how the English are eating?" Elizabeth smiled gently at the princess and said, "Of course, Your Highness." Anne replied, a smile gracing her features underneath her vail at the princess' kindness, "And maybe show me what the King likes to do." Elizabeth gently pulled Anne to the side and said to her, "His Majesty, my father, likes to play cards and gamble. Do you play?" Anne replied, "Oh, no. I think only the men play cards in my country, yeah?" Elizabeth chuckled and said, "Will Your Highness allow me to teach you? My husband and brother-in-law could play with us." Anne replied, "Of course, Your Highness. I will be most grateful." Elizabeth smiled at the foreign princess and allowed Anne to escort them to her bedchambers where they could play cards in private. James and Nathaniel followed the two princesses, causing everyone to bow and curtsy to them as they passed.