Chapter 9

A couple months later, Elizabeth and James decided to take leave for France. It has been awhile since both of them had been in France to see the French royal family and a long visit was way overdue. Elizabeth was getting her things ready when she felt sick to her stomach at the smell of something. She turned to Lady Eleanor and said, "Eleanor, tell me. What is that ghastly smell?" Lady Eleanor stared at her good friend in confusion and replied, "Why, it's the smell of apples, Your Highness. You always told us to keep them on hand because they're your favorite fruit." Elizabeth scrunched up her face and said, "Get rid of them. I can't stand the smell." Lady Eleanor nodded with a raised eyebrow and turned to a pageboy. The pageboy nodded and got rid of every apple in sight. Lady Eleanor said to Elizabeth, "Are you alright, Elizabeth? You seem a little different today." Elizabeth replied, placing her hand on her stomach as the urge to get sick came over her, "I just feel a little under the weather. Call the physician. I can't be sick before my and my husband's trip to France." Lady Eleanor nodded and left to get the physician. Elizabeth made her way to the window and looked outside. She didn't know what was going on with her lately but she had slight feeling that she could be pregnant. When she was pregnant with Nicholas, she couldn't stand the smell of fish and certain vegetables. At the time, she was in the French court and James' father had ordered that fish and the certain vegetables, she couldn't eat, were to be kept away during her stay.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the door to her bedchamber and turned to see who it was. Lady Eleanor curtsied to Elizabeth, while the physician bowed to her, and said to her, "I brought the physician to you, Your Highness. I shall take my leave if you wish." Elizabeth nodded and replied, "Yes, of course, Lady Eleanor. While you are gone, inform Lady Bryan that I would like to speak with her if she is available. Have her bring Nicholas as well." Lady Eleanor curtsied and said, "Of course, Your Royal Highness." Lady Eleanor curtsied then left Elizabeth with the physician and closed the door behind her. The other servants and ladies-in-waiting followed Lady Eleanor, knowing that Elizabeth would like to be alone with the physician. Once the door was closed, Elizabeth took a seat at the window seat and smiled at the physician. She said to the physician, "I am glad you here, Dr. Linacre. I hope this wasn't an inconvenience for you." Dr. Linacre bowed again to the princess and replied, "It isn't an inconvenience at all, Your Highness. I am grateful to be able to serve the royal family. What seems to be the problem?" Elizabeth sighed and said, "Well, I have noticed that I've been sick recently and I can't stand the smell of certain foods. Today, I couldn't stand the smell of apples and they are one of my favorite fruit." Dr. Linacre nodded and replied, "Are you having any trouble of keeping any food down?" Elizabeth said, nodding, "Just this past week." Dr. Linacre started to check on Elizabeth and came up with an conclusion that she was pregnant. Dr. Linacre said to the princess, with a smile on his face, "Well, I am glad to tell you that you are pregnant, Your Highness." Elizabeth felt a rush of happiness overcome her. It was been awhile since she was last pregnant and this time, she wasn't going to take any chance of losing this child. Elizabeth thanked the physician and sent him on his way.

Soon after her visit with the physician, the sound of running footsteps had caught Elizabeth's attention. She turned to see her son running into her bedchamber with a bright smile on his face and Lady Bryan along with her two ladies-in-waiting, Lady Mariana and Lady Caterina, followed after the young boy. Elizabeth chuckled at her son's antics, he reminded a lot of of her when she was his age. Lady Bryan clapped her hands and said to her young charge, "Prince Nicholas! Show some decorum, please!" Elizabeth chuckled and replied, "It's quite alright, Lady Bryan. He was doing no harm. He's only being a child and he should be." Lady Bryan gave Elizabeth a warm smile and said, curtsying, "Of course, Your Royal Highness. I was told that you wanted to see us." Elizabeth nodded and replied, smiling, "Yes, I did. I have some wonderful news and I am sure you will be pleased. I am pregnant." Lady Bryan smiled at her former charge and said, "That is wonderful, Your Highness. Does your husband know?" Elizabeth shaked her head and replied, "No but I plan on telling him later during the celebration of my father's wedding to his new bride." At the mention of her father's newfound love, her face scrunched up. Henry's decision of choosing Katherine Howard, a young girl of seventeen, unsettled Elizabeth. The young girl was barely a woman, a child even. Lady Bryan smiled at the princess and said, "I am sure His Royal Highness will be delighted of the thought of having a child again." Elizabeth sighed and replied, "I am only worried of losing this child like the last one, Lady Bryan. I did everything I could to keep the child safe but God had other plans." Lady Bryan smiled sympathetically at the princess and said to her, placing her hand Elizabeth's shoulder, "God does what is best for all of us, Princess Elizabeth." Nicholas looked up at his mother, noticing a change in his mother's mood, and said to her, "Are you alright, Mama?" Elizabeth smiled lovingly at her young son and replied, bringing him to sit on her lap, "Yes, Nicholas. I have some wonderful news for you. How do you feel about being a big brother once more?" Nicholas' face lit up and said, "Really, Mama?" Elizabeth nodded with a smile and Nicholas brought her into a hug. Elizabeth chuckled and said to her son, "Now, why don't you go with Lady Bryan and get ready for the celebrations? I shall join you at the celebration later." Nicholas nodded and hopped off of his mother's lap, making his way over to his governess. Lady Bryan curtsied to Princess Elizabeth while Nicholas bowed to her then left.