Chapter 3

Gage died late that night. Anya cried quietly while no one could hear her. In the morning, she asked Sam to dig a grave. Kallie cried loudly, and Damani ran out the door and into the woods. She let him go.

Once the grave was dug, Sam and Anya moved Gage's body into it, wrapped in a sheet. Sam filled the grave in, and Anya stood with her arm around Kallie while he dumped earth onto what used to be their brother. Damani sat at the edge of the woods, watching silently.

When the grave was full, Kallie went to Damani and the pair disappeared into the woods. When they were gone, she turned to Sam.

"I'm so grateful for everything that you've done," she said, meaning it. She pulled a small leather sachet out of her apron's front pocket. "Here," she said, holding it out to him.

Sam shook his head. "No. Consider my help a gift, or perhaps a penance."

"Did you know Gage?" she voiced her suspicion.

"Just in passing. Gage got himself mixed up in things that were too big for him. You would be best to not know more than that."

Anya shook her head. "I think that there is much I don't know."

He nodded grimly. "I don't know where your path will lead, but I just feel that you'll be fine. You seem both brave and resourceful."

He shook his head as if confused about his own words, and said, "I really must go, Anya."

She would not press him more. "Thank you, Sam."

"Best of luck," he said, doffed his cap and headed towards his wagon. Sabin swooped down and landed on her shoulder. She watched as Sam drove away, and wondered why he had changed his story about knowing her brother.

Anya wondered what she should do next.

* * * * *

Their lives resumed their normal pace. It was easy to pretend that Gage had not returned home to die. He had been there so seldom that his absence felt normal. The only difference was that he never would come home. Anya had a twinge of grief every time she thought of it, which felt far too often.

Anya worked on her project for Marjorie, and the twins helped as they always did. If the twin's voices were a bit quieter, and if Anya's burden felt a little heavier, she barely noticed. She kept busy and rarely allowed herself to worry about the vague ramblings Gage had made at the end of his life.

She did worry about the debt. She did not know how she would keep ahead of it without Gage's help. She had contributed, but she had largely taken care of their little brother and sister and kept the cottage while he decreased the amount they owed. She could not imagine how she would keep ahead alone. Gage's inexplicable words meant nothing.

She knew she would have to set up a meeting with their creditor. She would have to explain and beg for mercy. If he would not allow her more time, perhaps they would be forced to sell their home. Even worse, perhaps she would be thrown into debtor's prison. What would happen to the twins if they were thrown out on the street or she was locked up?

Anya sent a message to the lord who had lent their father money, asking for a meeting. While she waited for his response, she diligently made potions. She completed the potions for Marjorie easily enough. She had them ready for when, or if Marjorie returned for them. She had no contact with the village and had no idea of Marjorie had managed to turn her romance around on her own.

With help from Damani and Kallie, Anya stocked up on dried herbs and supplies. It was the best time of year for certain herbs, and she wanted to be sure her supplies would last her throughout the colder months.