Part 2: Firey Nights

She was sitting at the bar, tapping on a glass that had a strawberry daiquiri inside that was melting slightly. It was a casual Friday night, so the place was crowded with young people laughing, dancing, and yelling over one another. But for some reason she was even more nervous than usual. All she could feel was the sweat in her palms that she was trying to pass off for condensation and the hammering of her heart in her chest.

"Lil bird, you're making a mess on my bar," Keigo leaned in so she could hear him, snapping her back to reality.

"Sorry," she muttered, gulping down her drink until it was empty. "God, Keigo could I have tequila?"

He raised his eyebrows at her. "Tequila? You're here alone." His hands betrayed him though, already grabbing two shot glasses and pouring them both. She slid one to him, watched as he picked it up without hesitation. Silently, they tapped them together. Her body shuddered at the sensation and didn't decline when he started pouring her another.

"I have a date."

The alcohol overflowed onto the counter. "A date?"

She tsked, piling stupidly small bar napkins over the spill. "Yes, a date. I haven't been on a freakin' date since high school. What really made me think that I should go on one now? Do I even look like the type of girl that dates? No, I look like the ones that are in the back of the library covered in dust."

Keigo didn't say anything as he wiped up the rest of the mess with a cloth. It made sense. Her hair was curled nicely and she was wearing makeup - winged eyeliner and a sultry lipstick that he never saw her use when she came out with her friends. Her clothes were different too; she owned a leather jacket and deep cut tops? The most revealing thing Keigo had ever seen her in was a mini skirt which lasted for just over an hour before she asked to go into the back to change into jeans. He didn't get a chance to answer either, being called away to the other end to make a couple of cosmos. By the time he turned to look, her back was turned against him. She was talking to someone.

He slid back just as swiftly, faking cleaning the spill that was already gone. Whoever she was talking to was tall, dark, and in leather. He couldn't see him that well in the shitty lights they had around, but he knew well enough that he didn't like him.

"Hey Keigo! Could I have another few tequila shots?"

"Of course lil' bird." He placed the glasses on the bar, looking at them to make sure he didn't mess up the pour, and then looked up at who she was with. His heart slammed into his throat.

"Huh, when I heard her say Keigo, I thought I was losing my shit," the raspy voice drawled out.

Dabi. He looked different from the last time they had seen each other. Glasses framed his blue eyes for one, and he had a couple more piercings than what Keigo had remembered him with. There was a smirk on his face, one that was of casual amusement as he ran a hand over his black hair. An undercut? Dabi had said he would never have one of those, that they were for pansies that tried too hard. Keigo's back straightened, his wings fluffing out, his gaze never wavering from the one that Dabi started. He wasn't going to be the first to look away.

She blinked at the two of them back and forth. "You two know each other?"

"Loosely," Keigo replied.

"Oh come on," Dabi chuckled and turned to her. "Doll face, we were literally attached at the hip while we went to school together back in the day. You could say that he was my best friend."

By some sort of miracle Keigo was called away from the two of them. His mind was racing. What was Dabi doing here out of all the places he could have gone? And what kind of twisted universe would put him in her path?