Preface: Chapter 1

*2055 9 P.M PST, ??? P.O.V*

It was dark. Too dark for a house that supposedly had electricity. The wood panels creaked as heavy rain poured down like bullets shooting towards Earth. Describe the house. How could I? It wasn't really a house. There were only three rooms. The living room, which was dimly lit by a lightbulb hanging from a chain. Shabby, dusty, torn furniture furnished the room. A shaggy carpet lay in the middle of the room, along with a small broken TV sitting on a dark brown end table. The leg of the end table was chewed through, so that the table barely stood. Three small dirty windows were in each corner of the room.

The second room was the bedroom my wife and I share. My beautiful wife Amanda Faye. Light brown eyes, fair skin, luscious light gray hair. Ah, here she is now. She's wearing a white tank top caked with mud, light blue jeans with a plaid shirt tied around her waist and brown sandals. 

Anyway, enough about her. The room was a gray color, with fine dust collected around the room. In the middle of the room lay a king sized bed with gray sheeting. There were no blankets, just a small gray sheet, then under the bed was a chest with all the blankets we could find. We didn't need an alarm clock, so the two end tables on either side of the bed were empty.

And then the third room. My two kids rooms. I wanted to try and find a house that had two separate rooms for the kiddos, but this was all we could find amongst the chaos. I mean, they weren't really kids now, but they'd always be my two kiddos to me. Two small beds lay in the two corners of the room, and a small writing desk sat near the door.

That was Luna and Atticus's room. Luna had long, light brown hair. She wore a yellow sundress, a tan hat, light brown sandals, and dark brown shades.

Atticus had dark brown hair, and wore dark blue jeans and a pink t-shirt. 

I chuckled, thinking of how I used to wear those kinds of shirts.

I was in the living room, sitting on an old rocking chair. In my hands was a picture of everyone at Hi5 Studios that I'd had framed. Dark brown wood frame, little pieces of wood coming up out of the frame.

 Tears started forming in my eyes as I remembered everything we'd done together. And I teared up because some of those people in that picture, well, I'd never see them again. They were gone. Forever. I was also crying because I was glad some of those people were still alive. In fact, they were our neighbors. Well, when we could go outside, at least. But I willed myself to stop the tears from pouring down my face. That wasn't me.

So, you may find yourselves asking: How did I get here? And to that, I say, let me tell you a story.