I. Welcome to Pain

I hitched my backpack up, passing through the crowds of people. The sun blazing down on me. It wasn't a good day to travel far and be walking the whole time. I let out a sigh when I saw the line to the restaurant I wanted to try. 'I'll just try something else.' I walked away and to a restaurant close by. I ordered and drank my beer while looking around. A large group of people were around, laughing, smiling, chatting happily while I'm alone and unhappy. I let out a chuckle, reminiscing the memories before I came to Italy. My parents disowning me because I wouldn't propose to my girlfriend and my girlfriend suspecting that I was cheating on her. Why was marriage so important? If I didn't want to propose, it doesn't mean I didn't love you, it's just... I don't see the purpose of it.

"Here you go, sir. Enjoy," The waitress placed my meal down

"Thank you," I smiled at her

I ate my food while looking through my notebook and map to see what I should do next. I was going to leave Italy for Austria. I wanted to visit every famous landmark and building here before leaving, but Italy just continues to draw me in, but I'm leaving either way.

I paid for my meal and left to the Trevi Fountain. During my walk there, I stopped at shops, looking and admiring their products. I brought some things then sidetracked from the fountain to explore more of the center. It was already night when I got to the fountain.

"I finally got here," I chuckled to myself, standing in front of it

I took out a couple of coins and threw them into the fountain. This fountain held loving family memories. My great-great-great-grandparents met in Rome, Italy and my grandfather proposed to my grandmother in front of this fountain. It held an important meaning and memory to me and my heart since my grandfather was an Austrian African while my grandmother was a full-born Italian. I smiled at the thought, they had a hard time but overcame it with their love and determination. I sat down on the ledge of the fountain. I took out the wine bottle and chocolate from my backpack. I opened the bottle and took a swing of it before closing it and eating chocolate. I just sat there, drinking and eating chocolate.

I decided to lay down on the cold ledge and let out a sigh, closing my eyes. It feels so nice tonight.

『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』『』

"Alaric! Please, my baby! Don't leave me!" I gasped for air as my lungs were on fire

I tried to open my eyes and move my arms, but my whole body was killing me. I let out a groan as I rolled onto my side, aching.

"Alaric, baby! Don't move like that," The woman screamed at me, rolling me back onto my back

"W-where am I?" My voice was hoarse as I stutter

"Alaric, your awake," The woman sighed, I stared at her before closing my eyes

"Alaric, don't close your eyes," The woman placed her hands on my shoulders

"Who are you?' I gasped out from the pressure on my shoulders, covering my eyes with my hand

"Alaric, it's me, your mother. You can't forget me that easily, can you?" She cried out

"I don't know you," I croaked out

I furrowed my eyebrows when I realized my voice sounded different. I looked back at the woman. Her black crisp and puffy hair. Her tan skin was coated with dirt and black smudges, also cracking and ashy due to no moisture-enhancing it. Her lips chipped and light pink. I groaned raising my hand up to see its dark color. 'At least I still have my skin color.' I smiled but winced when I felt pain shoot through the corner of my mouth.