4|

For the first time in Annabelle's life,barring illness, she slept soundly until noon.Her first act was to call Julie.

"Are we set? "Julie asked after she had answered on half a ring.

"Yes I have everything".

. "And it's totally good right? It'll do the job?"

"They're excellent counterfeits. I don't foresee any problems"

"Awesome! Nine o'clock, I'll get the cab, have it wait ... So be ready. Oh, and make sure you look the part Ann "

"I will"
*. *. *.

Annabelle spent the whole day working on what she now thought of Project Ann. She changed her whole look, practiced walking in heels, looked up some party dance moves and practiced them—she had danced like this before, alone, in front of the mirror, teaching her self moves she'd observed at high school dances...when she'd been miserably on the sidelines, too young and plain for any boy to notice.
At six, she took out her labeled meal, ate while checking her email, expecting at least something from her father, but there was nothing...nothing at all... She at least expected a lecture or something... But Matthew's patience was endless, and his use of silence, masterful. It wouldn't work this time, Annabelle determined. This time Matthew was in for a shock. He'd walked out on Annabelle, but he'd come home to Ann...

*. *. *.

She gave herself thirty minutes to research universities with the highest rated programs in her new field of study—criminology. She'd apply for scholarship. Her academic records would hold her there. She'd lose a semester, but she'd get a job,go to work,and earn her way to her own destination.
She shut everything down, reminding herself tonight was for fun, for discovery, not for worries or plans.
She went upstairs to dress for her first night out...her first night of real freedom...

Because she dressed so early, Annabelle had too much time to think, to question, to doubt. She was overdressed, under madeup and her hair was wrong. No one would ask her to dance, no one ever did.
Julie was eighteen, older and experienced, and knew how to dress, how to behave in social situations, how to talk to boys... She herself was bound to say or do something inappropriate. She'd embarrass Julie, then Julie would never speak to her again. That tenuous bond of friendship would be broken forever.
She worked herself up into a state of panicked excitement, she felt feverish, queasy. She sat down twice, head between her knees, to fight off anxiety attacks, and still she answered Julie's buzz at the door with sweaty palms and thundering heart.

" Oh my gosh" yelled Julie once she'd seen Ann

"It's wrong, I'm wrong." All the doubts and fears peaked into self disgust and mortification as Julie stared at her."I'm sorry,you can just take the ID."

"Your hair"

"I don't know what I was thinking, I only wanted to try-"

"It's awesome! You look totally awesome. I wouldn't have recognized you. Oh my gosh, Ann, you look completely twenty-one, and really sexy"

"I do?"
"Yeah! You look so way right"

"Thanks... I'm glad you like it"

"Oh, yeah... We're gonna slay tonight"
"You look awesome too, you always do..."
" Thanks bae"

*. *. *.

"Oh. Yes." Ann opened the evening bag she'd chosen from the mall, and took out Julie's fake licence.

"It looks real" Julie said after a frowning study then stared up at Annabelle with wide, dark eyes and a huge grin. " I mean, you know, real real."

"They came out very well, but I think I could do better, I mean with more sophisticated equipment, but they should do for tonight."
"It even feels real," Julie murmured. "You've got skills girl. You could make a serious fortune. I know kids who'd pay big time fo docs like this."

Panic flooded back " No, you can't tell anyone, it's just for tonight, it's illegal,and if anyone finds out-"

Julie swiped a finger over her heart then her lips." They won't find out from me."

Annabelle smiled.."Thanks"

"Let's go get this party started"🎉