Chapter 1- Wands and Wizards

I hear the bell of Ollivanders Wand Shop ring as a new wizard enters through the old wooden door.

“Hello, I’m Comet and I’m starting my first year at Hogwarts! I need a wand.” She sneered confidently and then added, “Please…” in an ungrateful tone. At that moment I knew I was NEVER going to get along with her. 

“Why hello!” I watch as Uncle Vander pulls a wand box from the shelf and tells the girl to try it. By the happy look on their faces I know;  that’s the wand. A Sycamore, with Dragon Core 12 1/2 inches, reasonably supple. Even at my age, if you live in a wand shop for many years you’ll memorise each wand made and sold. The wizard left and I thought this might be a good time to ask Ollivander about my wand.

“Uncle Vander” I said in my sweetest tone, “Do you think I could get my wand now too?” He looked at me for a moment and then smiled while beginning to pull down a wand box from the shelf.

“Here… try this” He steadily handed me a 13” Maple with essence of Unicorn Hair. I knew it wasn’t going to work but couldn’t say anything for the fear of Ollivander figuring out my secret.

“That won’t work!” I blurted out

“Why?” He looked at me with curious eyes.

I cringed at his questioning.

*Flashback to the night before*

I crept out of my room and into the wand shop heading straight for the wand I knew would be for me. 

“Ugh now which is it?” I muttered under my breath attempting not to make a sound. I couldn’t exactly remember which box the wand I wanted was in. I also couldn’t properly see in the dark. I pulled a box from the shelf, pulled out the wand and tested it out. 

BOOM

“Not that one” I quietly yelled and quickly put the wand back in the box reading it’s title ‘13” Maple with essence of Unicorn Hair’ Ugh that’s why! I thought.

Just as I was going to pull the right box down, I heard something stir in Uncle Vander’s room.

‘Oh god, he’s awake’ I thought to myself while running back to my room and being me I was stumbling over everything I could possibly trip on even if it wasn’t in my way. I wonder if anybody else is as clumsy at life as me?

I got back to bed in time to act asleep as Uncle Vander walked past my room and peered inside checking on me as he did every night. I sighed silently and attempted to go to sleep. Tomorrow would be the day I get my wand.

*End of Flashback*

“Oh, no reason” I snapped out of my trance and answered his question quickly. Taking the wand from his hand and giving it a swish I cringed at the thought of the same thing like last night happening again.

BOOM

‘Yeah, I expected that’ I thought to myself

“Nope not that one, definitely not” Ollivander pulled another box down from the shelf and yet again it had the same reaction. He stood tapping on the bench, deep in thought when his head snapped at me and his eyes once again became curious.

For the last time, he pulled a box from the shelf. It looked quite old but very familiar. From the box, he pulled a 15” Ebony Wand with the essence of Phoenix Talon.

“I’d recognize that wand anywhere Uncle Vander” He slightly smiled handing me the wand. 

“Well give it a go” He gestured towards it and gave an encouraging smile.