Chapter 8

You step off of the elevator and see your mother, Gina. She's waiting impatiently with her leopard print skirt, blouse tucked in, fake cleavage heaving, and shiny red pumps tapping the floor. Who the hell is she trying to impress? You brace yourself for the coming onslaught of insults and guilt about not responding to her. You can't talk to her out here. There are too many people out front, too.

"Mother. How about we go this way to talk?"

Frannie gives you a look that says, "Are you sure you don't want me to take her out for you?" You jerk a slight nod, hoping your mother doesn't see it.

"Don't 'Mother' me! You won't answer my calls or texts. It's like you don't want to talk to me. I can't for the life of me figure out why you wouldn't want to talk to me. I've only ever had your best interest at heart."

She's nagging, but at least you've gotten her out to the garage.

"Why did you give Brett my number?"

"So you can talk to him, of course. I told you he's forgiven you for your little tantrum. He's ready to pick back up where you left off, and that's what you need to do. Not hang up on him when he's trying to fix the best thing that's ever happened to you.

"This 'job' thing is so beneath you, Y/N. You wouldn't have to worry about a thing with him. You know Brett took good care of us. He's moved up in his father's firm, too. He's about to make partner already. His business investments are doing great, too. You should see the car he's driving."

Your patience wears thin as you grit your teeth and ground out your next words.

"I. Don't. Want. Him. Besides, I'm already seeing somebody. I'm happy with him. Namjoon is... great."

"Don't you go giving me that far off look, young lady. I'll be damned if I let my daughter throw her future away for some... some... foreigner!" She visibly shivers her disgust. "I didn't raise you to be poor. Your father saw big things for you, too. He would want you to be with Brett. He told me so the first time he saw you two playing in the backyard together. God rest his soul; he'd be rolling over in his grave if he saw what you're becoming. Working with riff-raff, sleeping with riff-raff, and dressing like them. What are you even wearing right now? A pantsuit and flats?!"

Here comes the guilt and the waterworks. You want to tell Gina who Namjoon really is, but you know it's useless. Besides, it's not his status or money you fell in love with. You also give in to Gina's guilt trip a little bit. You love and miss your daddy. He was the only sanctuary from your mother's insanity. He's been gone since you were 10, and you miss him terribly.

"What do you want from me, mother?" you say with a resigning sigh, lowering your head. She knows she's got you, now.

"Your father's birthday party is this weekend, and I'll be accepting an award the city is giving him. Come and celebrate with us at the country club. We can even go dress shopping for you. Make you presentable again. Your father always thought you were so pretty in purple silk."

That's one thing you can agree with her on, at least. Then, a thought occurs to you.

"Only if I can bring a guest."

"Yeah, yeah. Katy can come, too. She'll need to be dressed right and be on her best behavior, though. Honestly, at least teach her not to act so...poor."

This will save an argument over who is coming with you. You let Gina assume it's your best friend and shoot her your best pageant smile. After agreeing to meet her tomorrow to go dress shopping, she leaves in a much better mood than when she arrived. You walk her back to the main lobby and stop at Frannie's desk as soon as your mother is gone.