Waking

I felt the darkness start to fade. It was like resurfacing from water after sinking into the darkness, but there was no light beams. Just that impending darkness. Feeling came back into my body, like a flood I could feel each muscle, hear each breath. I shifted and felt something tighten on my hand, I squeezed it and slowly opened my eyes, turning my head to the side.

"Que..."

I smiled tiredly, seeing him asleep, his head on the bed. I could see how exhausted he was, his breathing heavy in a deep sleep. I reached out with my other hand and gently ran my fingers through his hair slowly. He shifted and slowly raised his head, looking at me.

"Jess..."

His eyes widened and he jumped up, pulling me into a tight embrace, burying his face in my neck.

"Jess your awake...thank god, I...I waited every day. I never left you"

I smiled softly and looked past his shoulder at the two men at the door. Que pulled away and looked back at them to see what I was looking at.

"That's Randy and Orion"

I smiled at them both softly and waved gently, Randy walked over and checked my stats as Orion came over and smiled at me.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Jessica"

"He was the one who saved us from the mugging"

I looked at Que then at Orion.

"Thank you. Im grateful"

He smiled at me softly and nodded his head.

"This is my good friend Randy. He's a-"

"Doctor right? I worked it out when you know, I saw his nerdy glasses and coat"

Orion started laughing as Randy looked at me angrily.

"They aren't 'nerdy'. They're glasses"

I chuckled softly.

"I didn't mean to offend. They're cute"

He turned his head back to the monitor grumbling about not being cute either.

"Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

I looked at Que and shook my head softly.

"I just want to rest to be honest"

Randy nodded and pushed his glasses up.

"Good idea. You need to rest"

He headed to the door with Orion.

"Go with them Que"

Que looked at me and went to object, a small fear hidden in his eyes.

"Go on. I'll wait for you"

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair and nodded softly.

"Call if you need anything okay?"

He stood up and kissed my cheek softly, lingering a moment then walked out with the other two. I raised my hand and lightly touched the place where he kissed me. It was warm, and tingled, like it was alive, a warm feeling spreading through my stiff joints and everything just seemed to relax and become still for once. I smiled so very slightly and laid down, to recall that feeling over and over again till I fell asleep.