Chapter 4

||4||

CAMILLE

-----

I dressed myself in a black spaghetti top and beige paperbag trousers, applying a coat of mascara and some strawberry flavored lip gloss. After I was satisfied with my look, I took my car keys and left my house to pick Selene up.

She was already waiting for me, she wore a short, halter neck dress which was yellow in colour and had left her long, curly hair open. She smiled at me as she got inside the car.

We soon reached the restaurant that Jason had texted me and as soon as we entered it, our jaws dropped. The restaurant was way too fancy for us. It seems Jason was waiting for us because he was already approaching us with a grin over his face.

"Woah, you look nice, Milly." He said and winked at me. I thanked him and before I could introduce Selene, he gasped. "And who is this beauty?" He asked and still kept his eyes trained on her. I could feel Selene getting pissed off but didn't lose her composure. She finally answered, "I'm Selene. Nice to meet you." Then, we all headed to our table.

"You told us that one of your friends would come?" Selene questioned as we seated ourselves.

"Ohh yes, Axel is going to come, he might be a little late due to an urgent meeting." Jason shrugged nonchalantly. Then continued, "You must have seen him, Milly. He was there with me in the bakery the other day." As soon as he said that I stiffened for some reason.

I nodded slightly and agreed, feeling a little uncomfortable. Jason continued with his usual talking and teasing, which I knew was obviously ticking Selene off but she just stayed quiet.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I got held in." Spoke a deep, masculine voice. I recognised it almost immediately.

"Oh, you're finally here." Jason said. "This is Axel Clark, my buddy." Axel just nodded and greeted us and sat right across me. He didn't seem to notice me yet. But that is when our eyes met. He stared at me for a while and then spoke, "Aren't you the clumsy girl who created a scene in the bakery that day….Camille, was it?" My cheeks instantly burned due to embarrassment.

"Y-yes. That is me." I replied, barely audible. Why did he have to mention that! "We met in the pizza shop later too." I blurted, without giving it a thought.

He smirked a little and then said, "Were you trying to seduce me then?" What? Is something wrong with this guy? I was left totally speechless.

"I'm sorry but Cami already has a boyfriend." Selene said, looking right in Axel's eye. I agreed with a nod.  

Axel didn't bother to look at Selene and just replied, "So that tattooed freak was your boyfriend then?" I couldn't believe he just said that. I glared at him as hard as I could and spoke slowly, "That’s right. Do you have any problem with that?" I wouldn't let anyone talk about Cameron in that way, ever.

He just thinned his lips and said nothing. The atmosphere around us was getting heavier and heavier until Jason suggested ordering the food.

No one really talked after that, except Jason. He kept chatting as if nothing happened at all.

-----

"What was wrong with that Axel?" Selene asked as we entered my car to leave. "And even Jason for that matter. They were so annoying." I just chuckled at her. This was so unlike Selene.

"You don't like Jason, right?" I questioned as I laughed lightly.

"Absolutely not. Honestly, he was so cringey." She said, glaring ahead of her. I turned the radio on, keeping the volume low and rode off.

We were silent for some time and after a while she spoke thoughtfully, "What happened between you and Axel? He was being unnecessarily rude to you."

"He's weird." Was all I replied. Selene smiled at me with an amused look and shrugged it off.

It was a short ride after that. I dropped Selene home and left.

-----

JASON

-----

"Was there a need for you to be such a big jerk? That poor girl looked so hurt." I turned to Axel as I lit my cigar.

"I couldn't help it." He spoke, gritting his teeth. Then, keeping his cigar between his fingers, he continued, "You should call her and tell her that I didn't mean it."

"Really, dude?" I laughed at him.

"Yes, and keep the phone on the speaker so I can hear it." I sighed and did as he said. She picked the call on the third ring.

"Jason?" She spoke.

"Look Milly, I'm really sorry for how Axel treated you tonight. I swear, he's a good guy. He just has a sharp tongue. He didn’t mean what he said." There was silence on the other side. I was really hoping that she would just forgive him so I wouldn't have to deal with the grumpy guy. I could already feel his glare on me.

"So….?" I encouraged her when she didn't say anything at all.

"Uhm...okay then, I can forgive him this time." She said and relief flushed through me.

"Alright then, thanks Milly! Good Night." I said and ended the call.

"Well, she forgave you for now." I scowled at him.

"That's great." He smiled. I just rolled my eyes at him.

-----