Away From Home

Dinner and dessert went great. But I noticed something odd during the course of the night.

People kept glancing at our table, no doubt at Killian. Some had smiles on their faces, some looked like they've seen a ghost, but some looked down right scared.

Seriously, why are they so overly intimidated by him? I still have a lot to learn about this man sitting next to me.

Thirty minutes back on the road, since we're driving a little under the speed limit from being tired, we passed by a couple of mansions a few short miles from each other and joined a lone road that lead us to a large steel gate.

The yard is separated by a steel fence from the sides of the road, further away from the other houses.

Killian climbs out of the car and walks to what appears to be a thick metal column, adorned with vines and pulls it open. An electronic lock keypad comes into veiw, he presses a couple of keys and the gate swings open.

He climbs back into the drivers seat and starts on the driveway, the gate automatically closing behind us.

The cobblestone driveway is lined with tall trees, with a manicured green spread behind them and it takes a few minutes for the house to come into view. And when it does, all our mouths hang open as we let out loud gasps.

"This is what you meant when you said nothing fancy? A freaking Castle!" Sam is the first to get out of the car and we all follow behind her, unable to tear our gazes away from the site in front of us.

The end of the driveway is centered by a breathtaking stone sculpture of a horse, dressed in what I believe, knights would put on their horses as protective gear that matched their armor.

They must've taken their family name really seriously.

"Lee, I knew you were rich. But this huge ass house? No way."

"I'm not man, it belonged to my dads family." Killian sighs while unloading our bags. "Come on, let me show you to your rooms, I'm sure everyone's tired."

He picks up more than his share of the luggage and starts up the double sided stairs that lead to the large front door.

Everyone grabs some bags and we follow him up the stairs, where he uncovers another electronic keypad to unlock the door. A modernised castle, can't wait to see the inside. I say castle, because it looks like one, but better.

Three storey grey stone of modern day castle.

The foyer greets us as we walk in and it looks like something out of a magazine. High pearl colored ceiling adorned with a crystal chandelier, makes for a beautiful lighting.

Black stylish couches line the u-shaped wall that spirals up to a dual grand staircase, topped with a matching glass and steel coffee table in the middle.

The walls, a dark gray that fits perfectly with the black shiny marble floor. If the first impression is this amazing, the rest of the house will top it.

Everyone whistles and gasps at the beautiful foyer and seems to be at a loss for words to describe it.

"You say you haven't been here since college, how come the place is not layered in dust?" Lyla plops on one of the couches and runs her fingers on the glass top of the table. Voicing what seems to be on everyone's mind, seeing as we all turn to look at him with raised eyebrows.

Killian starts up the stairs, once he reaches the landing he sets the luggage down, leans over the railing and looks down at us. He studies his right hand that's holding his weight on the railing and his left hand is rubbing the back of his neck.