Chapter Four

"Peacemaker, time to get up," Hope said gently. 

The small dragonet slowly lifted his head, blinked, yawned, and sat up. He noticed there was a scroll on the table, which looked as though his mother had been reading it during the night. Peacemaker curiously stepped towards it to peer at the title. It was the same The Legend of the Darkstalker scroll from last night. 

Peacemaker had some mango and starfruit for breakfast, and throughout the entire afternoon Hope continued to read the scroll, sighing to herself occasionally. Peacemaker wondered if he should ask about what was obviously weighing her wings down, but he thought better of it, not wanting to upset his mother more. 

Instead the NightWing hybrid went for a walk around the village. He didn't have tree gliding practice today, and Firefly was off doing whatever Firefly did when no one was around, so he pretty much just had a day to himself to make pies and think about Jade Mountain. 

"Oh, Shadow," Peacemaker gave a startled smile at one of his customers, blinking back into reality. Shadow was one of the more elusive members of the NightWing Village (which was saying something, seeing as it was the NightWing Village), and Peacemaker had never known her to be interested in his baked goods. 

"Hey, Peacemaker," the blue-black dragon's voice was shallow as she spoke, and she fiddled with her ruby earring a bit. "Just need a small favor, nothing too major." 

Hmm. That was a bit strange. 

"Well... it depends. What do you need?" 

"So, you know that scroll about animus dragons?" the NightWing asked. "I was wondering if I could borrow it." 

"Oh. Oh! Of course," Peacemaker laughed. "It might have strawberry juice stains on it, though, so don't freak out about that." 

"I won't. Thanks." She gave him a genuine smile. 

Peacemaker checked to make sure there wasn't anyone else waiting for pastries, then slipped out of the makeshift stand and disappeared into his hut. 

The black dragonet grabbed The History of Animus Dragons and hurried back outside. Shadow thanked him again and disappeared into the pockets of darkness on the forest floor. 

The rest of the day was without further excitement - the only other dragon Peacemaker gave pies to that day was Starfruit, one of the few RainWings who lived in the NightWing village. 

He still wondered who could've been in his head last night, and eventually decided it was either one of the other NightWings at school messing with him, or it was a dream. Dreams were normal. Dreams didn't want to kill you. 

But the dragonet had trouble sleeping for the second time in a row that night anyways. 

A/N: I'm sorry this is kind of a slow chapter, four and five are kind of just supposed to be fillers and I promise it gets better from here. And don't worry, Chapter Five will be a little bit more thrilling.
I'm also sorry that this chapter took me so long to write, it's often the most boring parts that are the most difficult. 
Actually, I'm mostly just experimenting at the moment, and when I finish this story I'll probably go back and scoff at this chapter and maybe even edit it a bit. 
On a brighter note, we have more cameos! Shadow belongs to my good friend irl, @SomeLumityStan, and Starfruit belongs to... ah no I knew this would happen at some point Actually, I do not know O_O 
To the person who owns Starfruit, I'm so sorry ack, please message me on Discord or wherever and I'll give you credit immediately!!

- Galaxy