IX. FALL OF HYDRA

nightmare by halsey

nightmare by halsey

"Come on, little lady, give us a smile"

"No, I ain't got nothin' to smile about
I got no one to smile for,
I waited a while for
A moment to say
I don't owe you a goddamn thing"

I stood in the abandoned bank vault, a few feet away from Barnes sitting in the memory suppression machine. We were surrounded by a team of HYDRA agents. Nervousness ran through my body, my palms were sweaty and blood was drained from my face. We were awaiting Pierce's arrival for a briefing that I was absolutely dreading. My first mission failure... God knows what Pierce will do.

          I looked to my side to see a doctor tending to Barnes' bionic arm. I immediately noticed how confused and distressed he seemed. Rogers wasn't supposed to see who he was. Those two were all each other had, they were practically brothers, Mum gave me the name "Jamie" for a reason. Of course seeing Rogers would trigger something in Barnes, just like how it triggered something in me.

It triggered a feeling, an urge to go against orders, to drop everything and walk away from HYDRA. It wasn't just about Rogers himself, it was about what he embodied. He was a symbol of goodness in the world, something that makes you feel like you should do the right thing.

Something that makes you feel guilty for the things you've already done. Something that makes you wonder, "Why would a man of that much good ever accept and understand a cold, selfish monster of so much bad?"

My thoughts were interrupted when Barnes suddenly back handed the doctor with his metal arm, sending him flying across the room. All the agents immediately aimed their guns at him after his sudden outburst. I heard the steps of Pierce and Rumlow coming closer to the vault.

Here we go.

"Sir, he's unstable. Erratic." I could hear an agent warn from outside the gate, but Pierce still walked in, unhesitatingly. He held up his hands, signaling the agents to stand down and lower their weapons.

"Mission report." Pierce demanded, but Barnes stayed completely silent while I stood back and watched. "Mission report now." He repeated, more aggressively than the last time. Barnes remained unresponsive, but Pierce simply stepped forward and bent down to Barnes' level, until he suddenly slapped him across the face. Pierce stood up straight again before turning around to face me. "Carter, mission report." He ordered, looking at me straight in the eye, which made my feet feel like they were sinking into the ground.