1: Man Next Door

Walking into my new apartment, I look around. Seeing it for the first time with all my furniture. The only things I need to unpack is my clothes and blankets. Tonight will be my first night living here. I'm already starting to miss my old place.

But I needed to leave.

"So I guess this is it, huh?" I sadly say to my cousins who helped me move in.

My cousin Paulina pulls me into a hug and tells me, "It'll be fun. We're like 10 minutes away anytime you need us."

Dom and Giovanni my other cousins pull me into a hug. All of them letting me know that whenever I'm lonely or need help to call.

I walk them out once we say our goodbyes. Watching them leave from my doorway.

A voice scares me, making me jump.

"Just moved in?"

I turn to look at this guy who's got brown hair and green eyes. He has to be only a few years older than me. So probably mid 20s. He looks like he wants trouble.

"Who are you?"

He holds out his hand, "I'm Dylan. You're neighbor." His eyes look me up and down.

I reluctantly shake his hand, "I'm Jackie."

"Is that accent from Long Island?"

"Brooklyn."

He smirks, "I like that."

I shake my head, "Okay...I have to unpack. Bye." In a quick motion, I get back in my apartment and shut the door.

Sure, he was cute and being flirty. But he's my neighbor. Off limits.

I'm a 20 year old girl. My name is Jackie Branco, and I'm starting a new life almost.

The rest of my day is just me unpacking my things and decorating while I play music on my speakers. After I'm done, I take a shower and change into my pajamas. Sitting on the couch I watch Friends. My eyelids start to feel heavy and I almost fall asleep.

Until I hear someone knocking.

I get up and open the door.

Dylan smiles, "Hey, neighbor."

It's like 10pm, why is he bothering me?

"I was about to go to a party. But I thought of you and I wouldn't be a good neighbor if I didn't invite you, huh?" He leans in my doorway.

I can smell heavy liquor on him.

"Are you drunk?"

His eyes are pretty bloodshot.

"I only had a bottle of—."

I furrow my brows, "A bottle? Boy, go to bed."

"I'm locked out."

Ugh. Why on my first night? Is this what I'm gonna have to deal with everyday?

I open my door all the way and let him in, "Come on, you can sleep on my couch." He walks in and goes straight for my couch. I close the door and grab a blanket from the closet. "How come your so drunk?"

Dylan says with his eyes on me, "I saw my ex with my best friend."

I cover him with the blanket, "Aw, I'm sorry that sucks."

"You're young." He says out of nowhere.

"Not that young." I say, sitting next to him on the couch. "I just turned 20."

He chuckles, "You're young. I'm old."

"How old?"

"30."

Oh wow, I thought he was like 25 or something.

"That's not old. You're pretty young." I tell him.

He faces me, "My ex. Is actually my ex wife. I got married 3 years ago. And she cheated on me. So I cheated on her. And we got divorced. I just accepted it and was fine."

I nod listening to him rant.

"I didn't care anymore, I was ready to move on. Until I saw them going into a hotel together. My own best friend." He shakes his head, "And you know what's even worse?"

"What?"

Dylan shrugs, "He's married. And he's having an affair with my ex wife."

I gasp.

Out of nowhere a ringing starts. But it's not my phone.

Dylan takes out his phone from his pocket and it reads 'Lisa'. He shows it to me and whispers, "She's calling. My ex wife."

I stay quiet as he answers it and says, "What is it, bitch?"

I can't help but burst out laughing at the way he says bitch in a deeper tone than the rest of his sentence. This causes his to laugh too.

"Who is that? Another one of your sluts—?!"

He hangs up on Lisa before she continues yelling.

We both laugh at the situation for a bit. Until the laughs die down and we are both huddled together on the couch.

"You're funny." I smile lightly.

Dylan looks at me seriously for second before quickly leaning in and kissing me. Like full on kissing me.

I pull away shocked at what he just did.

"I'm sorry, I..."

Standing up, I shake my head, "You're just drunk. It's fine. I...I'm going to bed." Turning around, I walk to my bedroom.

I get in my bed and try to sleep. The taste of tequila is still on my lips and I almost want to go kiss him. But I don't. I go to sleep. In which I dream of my hot new neighbor.