Chapter 2

They ended up on the floor.

It's the first thought that registers in Aga's mind when he opens his eyes to a semi-dark room. The blinds are open and the sun is still barely peeking from the horizon. He heaves himself up from his awkward position, wincing at how his joints protest at the movement.

"Looks like you're getting too old for some activities." A voice comments from the corner of the room.

He turns to her in mock insult, but he's unable to contain the grin that's trying to overtake his face. He sits on the bed. She's curled up in a small couch at the corner, clad in her favorite silk robe, legs tucked under her and hands cradling a steaming cup of coffee.

"That's not how it looked like last night." He leers at the spot he just recently vacated and at the array of clothing strewn haphazardly across her bedroom floor. "In fact, it was you who wanted to tap out."

She chortles, her eyebrow raising in challenge. "But I didn't."

"You didn't." He smirks, playfully wiggling his eyebrows at her.

She doesn't respond, eyes suddenly turning serious. She tries to hide her expression behind a sip of coffee.

He stares at her, tries to read what she's thinking but when she looks up again, her face doesn't reveal anything. So he just sits there in her bed not knowing what to do about this abrupt rise in tension.

"I made coffee." She speaks up from her spot, saving him from his dilemma. He turns to the coffee table beside him and sure enough, the warm beverage is laid out for him.

He shifts on the bed, careful not to dislodge the sheets that he grabbed to cover himself. It's not like she hasn't seen it before-or last night for that matter-but it feels different now, in the trickling light of dawn, where they have to face the possible consequences of their fragility.

He takes the cup and settles himself against the headboard while she just observes him. He cautiously takes his first gulp of the caffeine.

"So," He says in between sips.

"So?" She echoes, looking as equally lost as he feels. They really didn't think this through, did they?

"What now?" Where do they go from here? They can't just ignore the fact that what happened last night happened, but they can't just go back to what they were six years ago, either.

"What happened last night doesn't change anything." She untucks her legs and carefully places her empty mug on the floor. "We cannot just pretend that the last six years didn't happen."

He nods. "I agree."

There's a moment of silence and for a short time, he allows himself to think that maybe they still have a chance, that she's willing to dip their toes back into the water again and try to wade into the deep ends together-until she opens her mouth and crushes his hopes.

"It can't happen again." She decides and he almost chokes on his coffee at her declaration.

"Why not?" He's quick to rebut, nose flaring in held back irritation at how she decidedly dismisses the idea of them getting back together without even considering what he thinks.

"Just- because." She shakes her head, getting up from her chair to pace the room.

"May bago ka na ba?" He asks despite his heart breaking at the thought. He doesn't really want to know that she's already seeing someone while he's still stuck, never really moved on from her after six years, but he puts on a brave face, straightens his back and braces himself.