Life is beautiful

Ezra didn't talk about me in the bathtub after I came to dinner. I enjoyed the Chinese takeout he had gotten for us on the way home. While we ate, he told me about what had happened when he had prepared Becky, our lovely stinky corpse.

"Becky was really smelly today", he said while trying to hold the chopsticks properly, "I'm sure your neighbors will notice her when they come home. I prepared her with strong Giver magic so she would look like the rotten version of you, even to a Reaper or someone similar."

"How can you be so sure?", I asked and he sighed. "I am so sure because apparently Dr. Suicide and his little liegewoman have visited when I was away to get us dinner. I returned to check if everything was still alright and there was furniture that has been moved."

I groaned: "Ugh, I can't stand both of them already. She seems like the perfect little spy to me."

"Yes I think so too. Her name is Lilith Balderik and she is taking her work very seriously. I think she's trying to flirt with me, but I don't really like the way she creeps around Dr. Suicide. That guy is really weird."

I was silent for a moment, eating my noodles with chopsticks. This Lilith was already very unsympathetic to me. Not just because she flirted with the one boy I liked, but because she bonded with one of my worst enemies.

Dr. Suicide seemed like a harmless fragile man, but he had a huge impact on Death's actions. Sometimes I thought, even more than Old Age.

Dr. Suicide was nasty in his work. He was always sneaking around and being egoistic, waiting for an opportunity to get an advantage for himself only.

"Anyways", said Ezra to lead the topic back to my fake corpse, "Becky is still waiting there and nobody has informed me about anything yet, so I think you're still safe."

I smiled thankfully: "Thank you, really Ezra. I wouldn't know what I'd do without your help in all of this."

"You would be dead. Or you would be in a lot less trouble, maybe, because if I wasn't there, then everything would be alright and Death Day wasn't around the corner."

"But I wouldn't have met you", I said quietly and I watched him chewing slowly, his jaw moving strongly, "And that would be a loss actually."

He looked at me and he smiled, poking in his noodles and chicken with the wooden chopsticks he held so terribly wrong.

"That would be sad, indeed."

We continued our awkward dinner, carrying the dirty dishes into the kitchen to put it in the dishwasher. Ezra yawned while sorting the cutlery and I smiled.

Immortals were not depending on sleep or food, but it cost a lot of energy if you left it out, nonetheless. I didn't know how long he had been gone preparing Becky and working, but it was for sure a time long enough to be exhausted.

"How much sleep have you had last night?", I asked and he shrugged.

"Hmm, I think I had about one or two hours", he said with a guilty undertone in his voice and became quieter when adding, "two days ago."

I gasped and turned around to look at him: "Two days ago?!"

"I couldn't sleep too well!", he defended himself, "Last night I had to take care of you and in between I had other things to do, that were more important."

Almost right on time he yawned. I looked at him, determined to put him into bed right away. I started with getting rid of the towel he held and laid it down on the counter.

"You go to bed now", I commanded and pushed him towards the door.

He tried to protest, but I blocked his way and pointed towards the direction in which the bedroom was. Mumbling something slightly grumpy, Ezra went to the bathroom and then the bedroom, doors opening and closing.