001

December 30th.

Long ago a pitch black sky was draped over the earth like a cloth, but with little punctures in it to let dots of light shine through. The air was chilly and snow covered the mountains and fields of the remote kingdom, but inside the houses were filled with warmth and love of lit candles and family dinners. Especially that night, the night of the birth of the most beautiful prince of the entire country. Maidens and family members stood around the childbed in the castle and admired the newborn prince as the Queen lovingly stroked her child's chubby cheeks. The full moon shone through the window and kissed the boy's handsome face.

A saying goes that the full moon has an impact on birth and more children are born during a full moon. The baby's due date actually was calculated a few weeks into the new year, but the moon's impact was too strong and Taehyung – as they had named the boy – wanted to step foot in this world earlier. However, this unpredicted labor was a danger to both him and the Queen. Even when she held her boy in her arms, the Queen saw pale and her body felt weak. Only a few minutes later, after delivering the afterbirth, the Queen threw up and went numb. She almost dropped Taehyung, but a maiden quickly caught the newborn and took him in her arms. Another maiden helped the Queen to sit up straight and patted her forehead using a wet cloth.

Worriedly, the King looked at his love and bowed towards her. He put a hand behind her head to steady her and pushed their foreheads together in a loving gesture, nose slightly touching.

"Stay with me," he pleaded.

The King loved his Queen more than anything in this world, even more than his own kingdom and children. So when she would pass away, a part of the King's soul would leave his body as well.

Taehyung's siblings now also reached for their mother, as if clinging onto her would keep her soul here. However she looked really ill and even though no one had to say it aloud, they all knew what was coming next and suddenly the mood had shifted from celebrating to goodbyes. Sobs carried into the night as the Queen's sapphire eyes dimmed for eternity. No one would ever see those eyes, they all believed. Their loving wife and mother was the only one who carried such lovingness with those eyes and now they were gone forever.

Or so they thought. When the heartbreaking sobs had reduced to a softer sniffling, there was still one person who continued wailing. The maiden who was holding Taehyung took him to the corner of the room while bouncing up and down. Eventually the boy also stopped crying and for the first time widely opened his eyes. The maiden, who was grieving about the Queen herself as well, looked at the child in shock and it took her a moment to comprehend what she saw. After she was sure what she saw was not her imagination, she rose her voice to break the silence of grief.

"Look!" the maiden said in her shrill voice. All the eyes in the room turned towards the old woman. "The baby's eyes."

Everyone had been so caught up in their loss, that they completely forgot about Taehyung. But when turned around to look at the youngest family member, a mixture of love, amazement and disgust washed over them. Taehyung's eyes were the colour of the depths of the sea, the colour of blue in its purest form. His eyes were exactly the same as the Queen's and even reflected the same pure love the Queen had always given her family and her people. No one in the family had inherited her sapphire eyes, instead they all had inherited the King's brown eyes. The chances that Taehyung would inherit these eyes were so slim, no one had ever thought about it. But right now, seeing this boy – the boy who had practically killed the Queen – look at the world for the first time with her eyes, was unbearable. He had stolen her eyes, there was no other way possible. He was a monster.

The King cleared his throath and stood up. He gestured to someone to fetch a pen and paper and he started to write out a message to everyone in his kingdom.

"Dear family, citizens and servants. Today, December 30th, is the anniversary of my first-born son. Meet your first prince, Kim Taehyung. My wife and I were happy it turned out to be a boy, but what initially was supposed to be a day of joy and celebration, turned out into a emotional night. I'm sadden to say that tonight my wife, your Queen, has passed away about half an hour after giving birth. As for now, I wish that December 30th will be a day of sorrow, instead of celebration. From my people I ask to keep December 30th in the loving memory of the Queen, who has given our people so much love and kindness and to show our respects to our Queen, whom we all love dearly."

"Regarding Taehyung, he will be under the concern's of the castle, the royal family and its maidens. Right after his birth, it was clear to us that the prince is a different case and thus our current situation requires a different approach. Taehyung will not be allowed to have contact with anyone outside the castle until I say so. Those who do not abide by these rules, will be punished - as these precautions are taken for your own benefit."

Signed, 

The King