New Haven Can Wait

Rise and shine, early birds, Gossip Girl here. We all have dreams. Some good, some bad, some fun and Freudian. And some are dreams we've had our whole lives.

"Ready?" Mom asks as she steps into Serena's room where she just finished packing.

"Oh, yeah. I'm all packed up," Serena answers.

"I've been done for days," I answer with an eye roll, okay so maybe I got one of the maids to pack for me a few days ago.

"You excited, me at your alma mater?" Serena asks, I don't really care about college so I decided to save myself hassle from Lily and Bart I'd just follow Serena, I was going to follow Chuck and Nate but they are both visiting Yale and that's just drama waiting to happen.

"So I guess that means you turned down this personal invitation to your Yale?" My mom asks.

"You got invited to Yale?" I answered shocked.

"Browns always been my plan, just like it was for you," Serena replies.

"And I love it there. But if Yale had invited me I would have said yes. This invitation is handwritten, Serena, in cursive," mom says trying to persuade Serena and I can feel the letter in my pocket burning.

"Yale is preppies and bookworms, you know the Blair's of the world," I answer.

"Even though me and Blair aren't exactly in speaking terms there's no way I would step on that particular land mine," Serena adds and for all our sakes I hope she means it.

"It's okay, Serena, you don't have to hide the photo. I've seen it," my mom answers and I'm genuinely confused.

"I'm sorry they called you my "unidentified friend," she answers and I grab the newspaper to see what she's talking about and can't contain my laughter, there's a news article about Serena and sure enough they called Lily her unidentified friend.

"I guess it's better than mother," she replies.

"What's in the bag?" I ask, noticing she hanged it on Serena's mirror.

"It's my dress for the fall dinner at the Frick. Eleanor sent them over," she replies. "I don't know why there's two. This one's a little edgier than I thought but I like."

I notice a little tag on the dress that reads Serena van der Woodsen and nod my head at Serena to show her.

"Apparently it's for me," Serena says standing up.

"This must be mine," my mom laughs holding up a very respectable dress that I would not wear.

"I guess I don't get a dress," I say, but not really all that concerned.

"You've never even worn an Eleanor Waldorf design before so why are you complaining," my mother laughs.

"Sorry I can't help it if that's not my style," I reply.

We spend the rest of the morning having a nice family breakfast together minus Chuck and Bart for whatever reasons before making our way to school.

Once we arrive at school I take the letter from my pocket quickly reading over it. It seems Yale personally invited me as well, guess it pays to be Serena's twin. I decide to crumple up the letter and throw it in the trash and continue into school.

***

"This weekend concludes college visits. The schools you will be visiting, Harvard, Yale and Brown... are among the best in the world. You are ambassadors of Constance Bilard and St. Jude's as well as your own families. We urge you to present yourselves in the best possible light. Good luck."